MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I've been to the HD in Orange Co., NY and I can tell you that among other things, you absolutely do need a commissary with a HD certified kitchen that you're affiliated with. Technically, NY State requires that your mobile food vending establishment goes to that 'brick and mortar' commissary at least every 72 hours to re-stock, clean, store food, etc.

It doesn't matter how well your truck is outfitted, there are not exceptions. I know this requirement does not apply in some other states, and it defies logic, but you're considering business in NY, and those are the rules here.

You don't need Workers' Comp insurance as long as you and your partners are principals of the business and don't intend to hire any other employees.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Ok, I guess, I have no farking idea what I am talking about.

I also guess, I have never catered a single event

That term comes from my HD, not a term, I farted out my arse!

Now, iffin he is doing drop off only, he will need to have a commisary.

I digress!
You cater in NY a lot do ya? Because I believe that is the state he was inquiring about.
HandsomeSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

[QUOTE=big brother smoke;1478232]That statement has a lot to do with the state you live in. However, personal chefs in most places I heard, can get around the commisary issue. All must simply be done on site and must be a private function! YMMV![/QUOTE]

What part of this was unclear? You generalized that Personal Chefs were a falsehood. All of this could have been avoided had you said NY.

Let's move along please, I wish you wellness

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Ok, I guess, I have no farking idea what I am talking about.

I also guess, I have never catered a single event

That term comes from my HD, not a term, I farted out my arse!

Now, iffin he is doing drop off only, he will need to have a commisary.

I digress!
We all know you are a famous (Or infamous) Taco Guy of the Central CA Coast - No license, no insurance, no problem! And you've never had any idea what you were talking about...

Everyone knows that I know nothing as well!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agold791 View Post
A friend and I are working on starting a small BBQ business in NY
Didn't think I needed to state it since it was the focus of the entire thread.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

First good luck - you must be crazy. NY laws are different than MI and sound a little like Florida with a commissary. As to personal chef as my HD in MI says there's no such thing legally. But a person can go to another house and cook for their party and accept a gratuity for doing it. To get legal is a whole other story and a lot of work even if you stay as just a partnership. Get a lawyer and draw up papers if forming a business enterprise even if informal. Trust me it's a good idea. The HD will work with you and you can get going for a reasonable amount if you want to cooperate. Obey the rules makes sure you don't PO them or it's a real pain for years.

And to everybody on this thread remember it's just BBQ and it's Christmas. I think I'll go back to my fresh squeezed OJ and vodka now. Maybe have to put lights on the palm tree soon.
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
bbqbull
Watching over us.

The personal attacks on each other shall stop now!

Thank you!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #23
daddywoofdawg
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Back to the question of a starting budget.I would think most NSF approved smokers start at about 3500.I don't know about NY but some states say you must use NSF equipment if not to cater then to vend.(Find out before you buy)but if your planning on spending that kind of money buy NSF the rule could come to your town soon.I would also think you could by most of your equipment used and cheap being in NY I would think there would be a closing raunt in NYC everyday.buy only the basics to make basic meals and as you go along and customers ask for things then get that other piece of equipment.

Last edited by daddywoofdawg; 01-14-2011 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: spell check
daddywoofdawg is offline   Reply With Quote