They like BBQ, you know.:-D

Good point, but the shop I worked in was in Virginia and I am now in Florida. I could probably find some friends with equipment locally. Matter of fact I contacted a friend who I thought might know where to locate materials for a UDS and he had himself built this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 351
If you make more than one UDS a deburring tool would be on the short list of tools I'd pick up. Really they are very helpful if you drill holes in metal very often. It makes removing the metal burr very easy. No filing, and it makes the hole look nice and neat. When my dad was visiting years ago I showed him this and he had to have one, so I got it for a gift next opportunity.

45JD72_AS01

Good luck. It's a great experience building and using it.

I use it as a grill without raising the basket. I get ~300-400c after a few minutes with open vents and no lid. It's really hot.

KPh3Dydh.jpg

29fPWmxh.jpg

Sear marks and all.

Thanks for the advice. What cut of beef is that?

New to UDS. Quick question

So I just picked up a really nice unlined food grade barrel. My question is should I burn off the paint on the outside and paint it with high temp paint? Or will it not come off with regular cooking? I don't want to build a nice smoker and then it look bad after the first cook or 2. If I need to get the paint it came with off and painted with high temp paint Id rather do it before I build it.

Thanks

So I just picked up a really nice unlined food grade barrel. My question is should I burn off the paint on the outside and paint it with high temp paint? Or will it not come off with regular cooking? I don't want to build a nice smoker and then it look bad after the first cook or 2. If I need to er the paint it came with of and painted with high temp paint Id rather do it before I build it.

Thanks

I asked this very question in the page before this one. 2 people gave good answers.

hey folks just finished my first cook on the UDS had problems keeping temps down

as soon as I opened the lid that was it up in the 300s and I couldn't bring them back down are there any tricks I'm missing

hey folks just finished my first cook on the UDS had problems keeping temps down

as soon as I opened the lid that was it up in the 300s and I couldn't bring them back down are there any tricks I'm missing
Gotta be quick. And maybe close the valves when opening the lid. I've done that with good results

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your temps WILL spike if you take your lid off and take your sweet time wrapping, spritzing, flipping or admiring the color of whatever you are smoking

Don't panic- don't start closing vents or intakes. Just "chill Winston". The temps will come back down- really - no fooling. It will take a bit of time- but a few degrees never hurt anybody.

Best weapon: minimize that "lid off time". When you take the lid off, all the coals you have been keeping asleep- wake up to the huge influx of fresh air-and say "heyyyy! and perk up- there's your spike. If you just put the lid back on -leave the settings alone, they will go back to napping and your temps will be right where you left them.

hey folks just finished my first cook on the UDS had problems keeping temps down as soon as I opened the lid that was it up in the 300s and I couldn't bring them back down are there any tricks I'm missing
Close your intake/intakes before removing the lid.
3-5 mins after you have put the lid back on, re-open your intake/intakes. No where near the temp spikes w/o closing intakes. Like mentioned, within 5-10 mins you are back at your target temp.

Are you saying that temps NEVER came back down? Or it just took awhile?

So I just picked up a really nice unlined food grade barrel. My question is should I burn off the paint on the outside and paint it with high temp paint? Or will it not come off with regular cooking? I don't want to build a nice smoker and then it look bad after the first cook or 2. If I need to get the paint it came with off and painted with high temp paint Id rather do it before I build it.

Thanks

The old paint may not come off during a cook, depending on what type of paint was used.

My vote is to burn off the old paint, and use VHT paint (I use the 500 degree stuff) to customize it.

Now all you have to worry about is grease and stuff mucking up the pretty paint job.

Hi All,

Here some piccies of my setup.

XZKFMZzm.jpg

My UDS with the HM mounted

1ATsxN9m.jpg

My HM / Damper combo

qhfRZj6m.jpg

And its guts...

qSdB07jm.jpg

The base where the air is channeled to the fan-pods on the bottom

awFPtGKm.jpg

The fan-pods

A6FYwlPm.jpg

All connected and running

6VxdN5Tm.jpg

Pit probe (Thermocouple) and 3 meat probes (Maverick 733 probes)

00qpYYXm.jpg

Air diffuser underneath coal basket

xzXEhBem.jpg

Coal basket ready to be lit.

hAVHrmdm.jpg

UDS Hinged lid

0cM9tUlm.jpg

Testrun, dialling in the PID values (Orange is the pit temp, red is the set temp, degC)

Did I see a Raspberry Pi Zero in the middle of that ATC?

So here is my first build, it is built just like the one I got 12 years ago from my brother after he read about them here. The original is still going!

Holes all drilled, fire set and rolling, basket nearly done. I've got three more to do!

Sorry for the sideways pics can't flip them from the phone

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 377
It should just be a bolt.
Righty Tighty
Lefty Loosey
(Smitty could probably do it with his bare hands.
The rest of us need a wrench.)

If all else fails - take a hack saw to the band. No one uses them for a UDS anyway.

Back