Round vs Squared offset smoke chambers: Airflow differences?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my offset coming in in Sept (hopefully).

But, while researching for it and well...I"m still constantly looking...I do notice most of them have round fireboxes AND round tube cooking chambers.

I know a lot of that has to do with the source materials, old propane tanks...pipes, etc.

I do see some fabricators, however, making squared off, long rectangular cook chambers.

I can see how that would be a bit easier to construct from raw materials...easier to weld from flat pieces of metal.

But I"m wondering....has anyone done any scientific tests of air flow through the two?

My guess would be, that moving air is much like a fluid, and the rounder and smoother flow would favor the better even exposure of the meats to the hot air/smoke....and have better draw characteristics.....

Thoughts?

Have there been any studies done on this?

Anyway, just was pondering this....thought I'd see what ya'll had to say.

cayenne

Throw in the hexagon shape for a compromise!

Aaron Franklin talks a lot about it in his book with definite preference for round firebox and cook chamber. Sort of makes intuitive sense, but then again I have built rocket stoves with square tubing and that sure didn't seem to slow down the air flow!

The used Jambo I had worked perfectly. large square firebox and a grate level wide exhaust. Never cared for the 2 door and punk little wheels but as far as fire tending goes it was wonderful. If I ever get another it will have major wheels, one door, and firebox door opening same direction as the cooking chamber doors.

It is definitely a fluid dynamics question.

My limited understanding is that the 2 main components that some pit builders take into account when designing a pit is draw (the volume of air moving through at any given time) and turbulence(how smoothly the air flows).

Again My limited understanding is that Draw is largely a product of fire(box) size and exhaust volume and length. And turbulence is cook chamber shape, grate design and exhaust entrance size, shape and placement.

Needless to say, it is pretty complicated.

Round is cheaper and faster to make, my guess is the square started as a selling feature at some point.

Jambo?

The used Jambo I had worked perfectly. large square firebox and a grate level wide exhaust. Never cared for the 2 door and punk little wheels but as far as fire tending goes it was wonderful. If I ever get another it will have major wheels, one door, and firebox door opening same direction as the cooking chamber doors.

Please pardon a noob question...

But what is a "Jambo"?

Thank you,

cayenne

Jambo pits are a smoker brand made in Texas by Jamie geer. Very good smokers and do very well out on the comp bbq trail.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 72
I first built a square firebox so that I could insulate the walls. I made a double-walled box from 3/16" plate steel. Since then I have made more offset horizontals and I have kept using square fireboxes. They just work so well, why change anything?

If I came home with a very long elliptical tank sure I'd cut it to length and would use some of the rest for a firebox.

I can't really envision a difference.

seattlepitboss

Back