Test run on "2nd generation" VDS

Bbq Bubba

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Taking all of the best ideas from the Brethren UDS thread, i announce to you the unveiling of the VDS (verticle drum smoker)
biggrin.gif

By imn88fan

Took 2" from the top of a doner Weber and attached it to the drum using stove gasket and hi heat sealant to seal the gap.

By imn88fan

16" camping grill for ash pan...

By imn88fan

Charcoal basket lit..... (weed burner mod)

By imn88fan

Halfway up the drum, i installed another grate to set a diffuser/ grease trap on.....

By imn88fan

Not having a large clay saucer to try, i used a metal lid wrapped in foil for test purposes...

By imn88fan

Grate set at lower bolts (24" above fire) and 2 probes, 1 at center and 1 at edge...

By imn88fan

After about an hour of fiddling with the intake, i ended up with 1 cap off and ballvalve 1/2 open (sound familiar) with a center grate temp of 240 and and outside grate temp of...........240!!!
It's running dead even across the grate with the diffuser installed!

Outside temps are 34* with a light wind and snow and it's holding temps great!

Weber lid needs some light metal work for a tighter fit but will give me a 2nd rack to cook on, plus i'm making a grilling charcoal basket that i can put on the lower grate and be able to hot grill on the top rack!

Bubba, that's lookin mighty fine!:cool:

I had a VDS once but a shot and 10 days worth of pills and it was all cleared up!

Nice looking drum though!

Wow, nice job... something to think about as I've been compiling my own pile of parts for a project. thanx for the fine pics. Dan

oh, sure, now you perfect the design. do i need to add the diffuser level to mine?

mine is cruising at 320 seasoning some cast iron :biggrin:

Very nice...& may have to give the diffuser a
shot on mine, as well.

Fancy Smancy, if you ain't cookin a carcass your wasting fuel. What's this "Snow" thing?

Comp. chicken mod! :cool:

i've already been thinking about that.

and i have an extra medium egg firebox.

i'm going to make a dregg! :biggrin:

or is that an dreggum, a drum with egg parts inside? :roll:

Just curious as to why you call it a VDS? What did I miss?

I thought quite a few guys have tried the diffuser/water pan idea. I know I have but still don't see the need for it.

Nice lookin' drum though.

Back