MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachg18 View Post
Anyway, my big issue is: How do I make BBQ exciting?
A spelling bee?

John

Last edited by PatioDaddio; 01-22-2013 at 11:06 AM..
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
zachg18
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Here are some casting ideas.

Will Ferrel: as the overly confident and cocky winningest man in BBQ

Sam Elliot: as the grizzled old BBQ veteran ala Johnny Trigg

Owen Wilson: as a new age BBQ zenmaster type who meditates and believes in being one with the meat

Ben Stiller: as a BBQ tech junkie that has the most expensive pit and every BBQ gadget and has taken every class imaginable, but still can't win.

Just a few that popped into my head.
Those are all good suggestion...here's what I was actually thinking so far:

Will Ferrell: Plays a really mean older man named Butterscotch who doesn't really talk to anyone...that is until they find out they have to create a team for the World Cue Off and he's forced to join up with several other local "outcasts". He also mines his own coal...

Danny McBride: Plays T.F. McCoy (T.F. stands for Texas Forever, not what you may have thought....) as the main character and he more or less sucks at barbecuing because he spends all his time focusing on grilling Hamburgers (which he's good at), and which will end up being the tie-breaker in the World Cue Off. He claims that people don't give the Hamburger enough credit and that it's much harder to 'Cue than people think. He's never won Grand Champion, but he gets on Butterscotch's team for the World Cue Off, along with Tubberville and Guy Cocksworth...

Nick Swardson: Plays T.F.'s best friend Tubberville...the two are practically a team.

Melissa McCarthy:Plays Barbie Q. Williams...her and her team of Garth and Cactus are the most recent Grand Champions and also the team to beat...she and T.F. do NOT get along.

Cary Elwes: Plays Guy Cocksworth, an EXTREMELY wealthy man who has the most fancy bbq equipment and talks with an unnecessary British accent. He used to be good at barbecuing but has struggled recently since his father passed away.

Sam Elliot: Funny you mention him because I was thinking of using him for the role of Tabasco Sanfield. He's the old bbq veteran who "dang near won every competition he ever took part in"...he doesn't compete anymore because it's just too easy for him, but he's still the most respected person amongst the barbecue community...he'll also end up being T.F. McCoy's uncle...

Sascha Baron Cohen: As the leader of the Pakistani team..

Ken Jeong: As the leader of the Chinese team...

Craig Robinson: As the leader of the Russian team...yes, he's black..."Sweet lord it's a commie negro!"...

Anyway those are just some of the famous actors I had in mind. There's a lot I can do with this script and I'm already about 60 pages in. My only issue was trying to find a way to make the actual part where the bbq as interesting and exciting as possible...
zachg18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

You can do a lot in comedy with the phrase "Butt Rub" or "Get some rub on my Butt".

Now I feel like a fourth grader again.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Is this movie going to go straight to DVD?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
zachg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Is this movie going to go straight to DVD?
Haha I'm not a professional screenwriter or anything, this is just something I do for fun. I will send the script out when it's done and see if anyone likes it though, but obviously the chances of that happening are small.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
djoseph74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Grease fires! Oh, yeah, flames shooting up 10 feet over your head. Chinese fire drill for real this time!
I'm going to second this one!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #22
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Those are all good suggestion...here's what I was actually thinking so far:

Will Ferrell: Plays a really mean older man named Butterscotch who doesn't really talk to anyone...that is until they find out they have to create a team for the World Cue Off and he's forced to join up with several other local "outcasts". He also mines his own coal...

Danny McBride: Plays T.F. McCoy (T.F. stands for Texas Forever, not what you may have thought....) as the main character and he more or less sucks at barbecuing because he spends all his time focusing on grilling Hamburgers (which he's good at), and which will end up being the tie-breaker in the World Cue Off. He claims that people don't give the Hamburger enough credit and that it's much harder to 'Cue than people think. He's never won Grand Champion, but he gets on Butterscotch's team for the World Cue Off, along with Tubberville and Guy Cocksworth...

Nick Swardson: Plays T.F.'s best friend Tubberville...the two are practically a team.

Melissa McCarthy:Plays Barbie Q. Williams...her and her team of Garth and Cactus are the most recent Grand Champions and also the team to beat...she and T.F. do NOT get along.

Cary Elwes: Plays Guy Cocksworth, an EXTREMELY wealthy man who has the most fancy bbq equipment and talks with an unnecessary British accent. He used to be good at barbecuing but has struggled recently since his father passed away.

Sam Elliot: Funny you mention him because I was thinking of using him for the role of Tabasco Sanfield. He's the old bbq veteran who "dang near won every competition he ever took part in"...he doesn't compete anymore because it's just too easy for him, but he's still the most respected person amongst the barbecue community...he'll also end up being T.F. McCoy's uncle...

Sascha Baron Cohen: As the leader of the Pakistani team..

Ken Jeong: As the leader of the Chinese team...

Craig Robinson: As the leader of the Russian team...yes, he's black..."Sweet lord it's a commie negro!"...

Anyway those are just some of the famous actors I had in mind. There's a lot I can do with this script and I'm already about 60 pages in. My only issue was trying to find a way to make the actual part where the bbq as interesting and exciting as possible...
I am curious. Have you actually spent time at a BBQ competition? Doing that as well as watching shows like Pitmasters will give you much better insight as to the unique subculture.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Christopher Guest as director comes to mind...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Keep the thread OT. If you have nothing positive to add, leave the thread and say NOTHING. It's been scrubbed. Keep the negative comments to yourself. Thanks!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
I think it would be funny to have a BBQ Team from Israel - the “Hebrew Porkers”. They don't eat their food they just want to win the prize money.

Yeah – I just stereotyped.
And then to mess with them, other teams try it and say its horrible, or pay people to say it doesnt taste good, and give them bad pointers and info about the judges (Reminds me of when harry soo on bbq pitmasters season 1 kept having to make his rib sauce sweeter for the judges, and he wasn't used to this).

Some of the other people (pakistani or chinese maybe) could use a scimitar to cut meat and raise it above their head each time they cut and freak people out each time they cut stuff.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
zachg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I am curious. Have you actually spent time at a BBQ competition? Doing that as well as watching shows like Pitmasters will give you much better insight as to the unique subculture.
I've never been to a competition, but I have watched A LOT of Pittmasters...

Funny enough, I thought of the whole idea for this script before I even knew that competitive barbecuing existed...then I came across Pittmasters one day and I realized I may be onto something and that I could get a lot of info from watching that show (which I have)

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
zachg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
And then to mess with them, other teams try it and say its horrible, or pay people to say it doesnt taste good, and give them bad pointers and info about the judges (Reminds me of when harry soo on bbq pitmasters season 1 kept having to make his rib sauce sweeter for the judges, and he wasn't used to this).

Some of the other people (pakistani or chinese maybe) could use a scimitar to cut meat and raise it above their head each time they cut and freak people out each time they cut stuff.
I really like this scimitar idea...and maybe everyone stands around watching thinking it's going to be a messy cut but they somehow manage to cut perfect slices of brisket with it...

I should also mention that I've kept the competition to just Ribs, Chicken, and Brisket...I know there's a lot more that goes into these competitions but I figured I'd keep it simple for the audience..

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
Mexi "Q" Tioner
Full Fledged Farker

Dont forget to add a mexican team. Maybe an impala with the trunk converted into a smoker or a smoker with hydraulics switched on to try to control the temps...lol

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
zachg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi "Q" Tioner View Post
Dont forget to add a mexican team. Maybe an impala with the trunk converted into a smoker or a smoker with hydraulics switched on to try to control the temps...lol
Another good idea! See this is why I posted on here....

I probably won't make them a main team in the competition, but I can squeeze them into a scene where you just see them at the competition at some point...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
Mexi "Q" Tioner
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Another good idea! See this is why I posted on here....

I probably won't make them a main team in the competition, but I can squeeze them into a scene where you just see them at the competition at some point...
There you go! Kinda how the movie DodgeBall showed a quick shot of all the teams but only focused on 2 main ones. That could work.