MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Exclamation Pitmaster T and Popdaddy's UDS Thread (Movie) and Indexing to come

Here it is... the Ultimate UDS (Upright Drum Smoker) Movie... if for anything but its length.

There are little surprises on the way

Music is a gift to TRUFUNK.... the song Chapter and Verse was recorded days ago in a Live Jam.

All people I got inspiration are credited as well as the forum to help pour more members in to see our colossal UDS Threads; which is just like a PBC, only larger.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 02-03-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Chapters and Verse... and the purse is gettin' fatta,
Tha people clapping louder than tha rest of the wretched chatter..
The blessin's and the curses for those that never matter
Cuz when My beat drop they scatter!
Scatter to the Dance flo... S into the DF

U can admit it if the If the truth comes first
unto the justice were committed....
while all them other brothas... gettin' their orange suits fitted.

Edict.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Did you really need to go there at the end?

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

That was cool! Enjoyed it. Funkin' Funktastic!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

The only place he went was Home Depot.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Did you really need to go there at the end?
I dunno, do you think you could FIND a sense of humor?

Thanks for the publicity... now everyone will wonder what you're talking about and check out the end. These guys are brethren members and have done much for the UDS... and are worthy of stealing from. Some have indeed have just left their fatter Q Spouses (the UDS for those too stupid or Baised to not realize I am talking about Drums here) to take a newer, younger, slimmer and tighter model around the block a few times.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 02-03-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Did I say Howm depot> I meant Lowes... actually I found all the parts I bought 4 years ago just last week... :-( Brass Valves, nipples everything. About $150 worth of **** I bought and misplaced so I had to buy it all again.

Which kinda makes you think.... a PBC would actually be cheaper wouldn't it? With the discount its like a hundred bucks and ready to go with a LOT less hassle.

Edict.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Well now you've got enough to build another barrel! I went with 3 intakes like you did but put pipe caps on two of'em and just screwed a ball valve onto the third, no pipe. That'll save some money like that.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Yeah I will probably take the second pipe off and place it on my stainless model.

The thing is... and many of you with brains and reading comprehension above a 7th grader have been writing me and telling me... yes, I have been on the side of the PBC... a little funky, but the intelligent got it....and no, I speak not of ones that were simply "offended" by equating the PBC owner with having a larger schlong than the UDS owner... I get that.

Of course if you think hard on it... could I have not bought a damn PBC or BDS in 2008 and have been USING it instead of moving it over the miles and all over the garage until I had the time or spare money to contruct a UDS? Someone is in the same situation now I was in.

I know I have a writing style that intentionally obfuscates a bit so you have to really look to see what I am saying but in a thread a while back... I think the one where I even defended a brethren that I do not get along with because I thought it was wrong someone insinuated he might be in cahoots with the PBC company, well I will say it more directly. I said he wasn't. Look, piddling is fun... but some of us have good intentions but not enough time to get the project done. And who says you can't lay down a hungred bucks or so and not buy a BPS kit, or fully made D-Meat Smoker, Pit Barrel Cooker or BDS and tweak that. heck we have two that have already started the tweaking.

I can say one thing.... you can piddle with your instrument all day long but if the game ain't right you won't be getting any trophies. So Build one if you want, but eventually you will need that time back to perfect your rub, technique, etc.

Edict.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

I like how you brought a lot of the tips that have evolved over time into 1 build video. I have always wondered (on the intakes) what is the science behind the vertical pipe? Does it act differently than if you just mounted the valve directly to the hole in the bottom of the drum?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
I like how you brought a lot of the tips that have evolved over time into 1 build video. I have always wondered (on the intakes) what is the science behind the vertical pipe? Does it act differently than if you just mounted the valve directly to the hole in the bottom of the drum?
Well it certainly keeps one from bending over to adjust it!

Not speaking on behalf Pitmaster T, but I'll share my experiences-

I think it really helps with the smoker being affected by wind factors, and perhaps with fluid dynamics, but I'm no physicist. But yes, I like my draft pipe. I think it's all part of a whole that is the beauty of the UDS.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

U like the ease of reach but hey... think about it... I see guys that use refrigerator magnets over holes and RARELY ever change it. I mean I hate to bring up the PBC again but I was obviously stolen from. I am the arbitor of 275 degrees. The PBC is set it and forget it... and from what I am told it cooks at 275 whether its 70 or 29.

I like the uptakes for two reasons...one, I worry less about draft and I proved that the other day. Two... I like the look.
as you comment on my underlined part, I wonder if you realize its a joke

Edict.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Well it certainly keeps one from bending over to adjust it!

Not speaking on behalf Pitmaster T, but I'll share my experiences-

I think it really helps with the smoker being affected by wind factors, and perhaps with fluid dynamics, but I'm no physicist. But yes, I like my draft pipe. I think it's all part of a whole that is the beauty of the UDS.
Thanks J that makes sense

Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
U like the ease of reach but hey... think about it... I see guys that use refrigerator magnets over holes and RARELY ever change it.
that is true and I'm thinking that these guys are shooting for a "range" vs a "temp" throughout thier cook. I also wonder if these guys are in a climate that has less severe swings throughout the year (unlike mine).

Quote:
The PBC is set it and forget it... and from what I am told it cooks at 275 whether its 70 or 29.
I'm sure it can, if you adjust the intake accordingly. I've only used it twice and it held a consistent temp VERY well but I closed the intake by about 1/2 the factory setting to get 275 (again, cold, dry air here in Boston today). It held 275 throughout my rib cook but when I removed the meat, it ran empty at 325 (no adjustment to the intake).

Quote:
I like the uptakes for two reasons...one, I worry less about draft and I proved that the other day. Two... I like the look.
Ok, eliminating the draft issue is a great thing and I also like the look.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
that is true and I'm thinking that these guys are shooting for a "range" vs a "temp" throughout thier cook. I also wonder if these guys are in a climate that has less severe swings throughout the year (unlike mine).
I used magnets on mine, although ive only had it for a few weeks now. They were fine, but they like to fall off if they get to cold or hot, depending on the magnet. I'm now using a slider system.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds