Re-Working Marketing materials

tmcmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
All -

I am in the process of re-working/re-creating my marketing materials (flyers, etc) and am hitting some creative blocks. Would anyone want to email me a copy of what they have to serve as a sort of... inspiration? I would never steal your intellectual property, but would like to see where I am going wrong.

Thanks!

Email is below.

Email sent and you may steal my intellectual properties:rolleyes:

If anyone else wants a copy pm me your email addy.

You might check out boxedart.com for some ideas. They obviously sell templets bt they may give you some ideas to create your own.

A good printer will give you layout ideas for brochures, cards, etc. Main page ads in my local newspaper has worked for me also. I now stay away from the classifieds, that sort of advertising brought in a bunch of tire kickers and bargain shoppers.

Since graphics / advertising is what I do for a living, let me ask a couple of questions:

What is it you don't like about what you have now? Be specific, not "It's not working"

Who is your target customer? Again, not "everyone"

What kind of events do you primarily want to do? Weddings? Corporate? Backyard? Fairs/vending?

The biggest mistake people make is trying to target everyone. Flyers are just that, flyers, not works of art. Take a promotional piece that you've done / sketched and show it to someone for 3-5 seconds, then take it away and ask them what they remember, if they don't remember your message, you need to change, and in a lot of cases simplify your piece.

Here is what I have right now... The logo is... well, good in concept, but not in execution. And the flyer is my first attempt at writing copy, so... well... clearly, I am not a wordsmith...

I target small corporate functions, backyard parties and street fairs...

Attachments

• PMRBBQ1.pdf
    117.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Logo1.gif
    Logo1.gif
    10 KB · Views: 135
Here is what I have right now... The logo is... well, good in concept, but not in execution. And the flyer is my first attempt at writing copy, so... well... clearly, I am not a wordsmith...

I'm not really feeling your logo. What is it? It kind of looks like a "P" with a elvis hair-do. If I was you I would hire a pro to create you a log, and some marketing materials. You can outsource this to someone who can do this fairly cheaply. Check out elance.com. You can get a graphic designer to design you a nice logo for a couple hundred bucks. Its worth the money, especially if you are doing corporate gigs. You don't want to look like you made your logo in Microsoft Paint, and your flyers using Word Art.

Patrick

on your logo, I would have Patrick do it for you at http://www.bbqlogos.com/

he has done alot of logo's for teams and companies, I was having him do my logo for a Ice Cream and Coffee store that didn't work out . He is fast, and very professional logo's. I don't think he charges enough (just don't tell him that :))

Here's what I took away from your flyer. You like to do burgers and dogs + high end creations for your customers from roots of local family style restaurants in Gettysburg. Oh yeah, you also do BBQ.

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS!

If you are selling BBQ, SELL BBQ!

Cut your words by half at least, - your message needs to be "you want to buy my BBQ service" everything in your flyer should deliver that message. If something doesn't, take it out.

A simple message could be "BBQ catering from the Block Party to the Board Room" and build from there.

I don't want to sound harsh but the logo seems more suited to a hair salon than a caterer.

Valid thoughts, all! I certainly appreciate the help.

Thanks again!

on your logo, I would have Patrick do it for you at http://www.bbqlogos.com/

he has done alot of logo's for teams and companies, I was having him do my logo for a Ice Cream and Coffee store that didn't work out . He is fast, and very professional logo's. I don't think he charges enough (just don't tell him that :))

Mike -

Thanks for alerting me to him! He is doing a new one for me, and the sketch looks freaking fantastic!

Thanks again! This is why I love my Brethren Brothers (and Sisters)!

Mike -

Thanks for alerting me to him! He is doing a new one for me, and the sketch looks freaking fantastic!

Thanks again! This is why I love my Brethren Brothers (and Sisters)!

I am glad you are using him. I was really picky with my business logo, and he just come's thru for you, he has a gift of knowing what you want.

Here is the new and improved (like Tide) logo...

Attachments

• PMRBBQ_1.jpg
    PMRBBQ_1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 35
Back