Best temperature for St Louis Spares

Lion Bout The Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for temperature of Spares for vending, non wrapped. What to shoot for thats not completely fall off the bone.
Thanks

Hmm, never had a number. Bend test for me.

For brisket I've averaged my number to usually 203'ish but never with ribs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I get the bend test and I have timing on comp ribs. I just thought some of those that vends might shoot for a temp than doing the bend test on 100 racks.

I just did spares on my vertical offset and it was 5 hours and some change. Bite through clean off the bone. Temp ranged from 225-300 when throwing in splits.

I get the bend test and I have timing on comp ribs. I just thought some of those that vends might shoot for a temp than doing the bend test on 100 racks.
I have vend cooked them a few times and still just use the bend test and hold in a Cambro. I use time as my indicator and give myself an hours worth of grace.

Last time I cooked 40 racks and they all were done within a half hour of each other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the no help response.. I was just curious on what others shoot for, But yes , thermo pen every rack would be much faster than the bend test as I have to cook this many ribs in racks and it would take much more effort to pull each one. But hey ,thanks :thumb:

I used to think temping ribs was weird. I know at least 2 really good ribs cooks off the top of my head that temp their ribs, and use the probe to feel for resistance as well(I'm guessing). The only issue is, depending on your cooker,the type of rib, wrapped vs unwrapped and the temp you cook at, the temperature of doneness can swing 10-15 degrees. That's why bending and feeling for resistance is a preferred way on checking for tenderness. Temperature will fluctuate with so many different variables, "the feel" is pretty universal.

Back