MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
VitoCorleone
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Electric vs. LP Appliances

Needing some advice from the seasoned pro's out there...

I am ordering a concession's trailer to serve BBQ out of. We will use it for catering, competitions, and also want to do some "roadside" concessions to make a little money.

I am looking at a 7x16 with a full electrical, sink package, 4 foot hood, and A/C included.

I was originally asking for quotes on a 100 amp electrical panel because I wanted all electric appliances. I don't have much experience with LP and I had heard they cost more. A few vendors pushed back on me though saying I couldn't get 100 amps from a generator so why have the panel? I did some checking and found most generators have either a 20 or 30 amp output. So, I started asking for a quote on a 50 amp panel / 30 amp cord and also a full lp setup. Now I'm shopping for appliances and lp runs about 500% - 1000% more on cost than electric. OUCH!

So......
Are you electric or lp? What do you recommend?
If you are electric - how do you get enough juice to run everything you need?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

I think you need to look at the pro/cons of each. Add the cost of a quality genny to the cost difference between elec & LP. Factor in the noise while vending, comp or catering. You could drop down to a 2k gen to run the few things LP won't run. I can't think of any equipment that runs better on elec than LP. I'd also be looking at going 8' wide instead of 7'. That extra foot makes a lot of difference for the cost.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
VitoCorleone
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Thanks Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
I think you need to look at the pro/cons of each. Add the cost of a quality genny to the cost difference between elec & LP. Factor in the noise while vending, comp or catering. You could drop down to a 2k gen to run the few things LP won't run. I can't think of any equipment that runs better on elec than LP. I'd also be looking at going 8' wide instead of 7'. That extra foot makes a lot of difference for the cost.
Thanks for the feedback Dan! I've seen a lot of people reference a Honda 7000 generator on here. I looked and they are around $4K. Even if I spent the extra money though they only have 2 20 amp outputs and 2 30 amp outputs. I'm no electrician, but how does that get me any more running power than a cheaper model from Sam's Club? if 30 amp is the most they can get to the panel, then don't I only have 30 amps to work with?

I've been debating the 8 foot option lately. The first manufacturer I talked to only offered a 7 or 8.5 and VA gets a little grey on some issues with the 8.5 (they consider it a wide load). I think I picked 7 because of that limitation then and just kept going with it. Most places do offer an 8 foot choice though so I will definitely revisit the size. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BishopofBBQ

Dan is right, that extra foot width is a must. I went with 8.5 foot height as well, and that is so great!

I would go LP on the appliances possible. It's just simpler and more efficient than a bigger generator, or multiple generators.

I have that 7000 Honda, and it is fantastic! The food trucks around me run the cheap generators. I'm there first, cooking early like a good bbq guy, and it's all peaceful. Then the taco and asian trucks show up, and the cheap generators start, an it's a noise festival.
> Huge Insulated Cabinet #WhoDat1
> Pitmaker.com Grillmeister, 24"x48" Charcoal Grill
> Jambo Backyard Stickburner
> Pitmaker.com Vault Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker
@BishopofBBQ
PaulstheRibList is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #5
ooootis
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone View Post
Thanks for the feedback Dan! I've seen a lot of people reference a Honda 7000 generator on here. I looked and they are around $4K. Even if I spent the extra money though they only have 2 20 amp outputs and 2 30 amp outputs. I'm no electrician, but how does that get me any more running power than a cheaper model from Sam's Club? if 30 amp is the most they can get to the panel, then don't I only have 30 amps to work with?

I've been debating the 8 foot option lately. The first manufacturer I talked to only offered a 7 or 8.5 and VA gets a little grey on some issues with the 8.5 (they consider it a wide load). I think I picked 7 because of that limitation then and just kept going with it. Most places do offer an 8 foot choice though so I will definitely revisit the size. Thanks!
With the length of your trailer the 8.5 will hinder the placement of appliances in the trailer due to the wheel well. Please don't ask me how I know Now as far as electric goes for everything you have outlined that you wanna do with this trailer your going to want to use mostly propane. I was at a comp a few weeks back and had to run the generator because of the small A/C unit I added. Neighbors thought it was quit annoying but they where camping so.... to change the subject where ya going to sleep during the comps, mind you you wont get much so that might not be a biggie.

I have a 15 X 8.5 Haulmark dual axle it does ok but I don't have the three sink and hand sink installation. I just carry a 55 gallon approved rain water barrel for washing dished and a 160 qt crab pot and propane burner for a heat source. Good luck. My analyses of what you have said based upon my experiences would be that you need the at least a 20 x 8.5 with a raised roof to accomplish what you want to do. If you have a class c RV or are comfortable sleeping in the tow vehicle you might not need the longer trailer. Bigger is better if you can afford it. BTW the Champion line of Inverter/generator is pretty quiet. I bought a 3400 Dual fuel and love it. I'll never use gasoline unless it's an emergency the wattage rating drops on Propane to 3100.
Weber 22" Charcoal Grill
Weber 26" Charcoal Grill
Members Mark Gasser
Brinkman Cimemeron (older than dirt and retired)
Cajun Smoker (retired)

Last edited by ooootis; 07-20-2017 at 05:56 AM..
ooootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Nvoges
Take a breath!

Quote:
It has a lot more to do with noise levels than electrical output.

Currently a UDS, a PBC, a Weber Performer Platinum, a 32" Blackstone, my fire pit, and a Charbroil Propane that makes a heck of a dust collector.
Nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Even if I spent the extra money though they only have 2 20 amp outputs and 2 30 amp outputs. I'm no electrician, but how does that get me any more running power than a cheaper model from Sam's Club? if 30 amp is the most they can get to the panel, then don't I only have 30 amps to work with?
Each circuit is independent so you can run 2 20 amp circuits and one 30 amp. My trailer is all electric and I have 2 20amp and 1 30 amp independent inputs. One 20 runs the AC and the other 20 runs the hot water heater, refrigerator, and overhead lights. The 30 runs the kitchen; induction burners, appliances, etc.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Each circuit is independent so you can run 2 20 amp circuits and one 30 amp. My trailer is all electric and I have 2 20amp and 1 30 amp independent inputs. One 20 runs the AC and the other 20 runs the hot water heater, refrigerator, and overhead lights. The 30 runs the kitchen; induction burners, appliances, etc.
Dude, I'm leaning something: I can run the 30 amp circuit, and the two 20 amp circuits also at the same time? I have been doing it wrong!!!
@BishopofBBQ
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
Dude, I'm leaning something: I can run the 30 amp circuit, and the two 20 amp circuits also at the same time? I have been doing it wrong!!!
Yes but you can't draw more that 57amps combined at one tme.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Yes but you can't draw more that 57amps combined at one tme.
Roger that.
@BishopofBBQ
Old 07-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Awesome post! You just solved a major, head beating dilemma that we have been experiencing.
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote