• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Too Cold to Smoke?

Montana Jack

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've seen comments on threads its too cold for the stick burner, etc. I've had no problem using mine down into the low 20's (and colder) and still maintaining 275. I have a remote probe so can just run out and add wood when temp drops. Any thoughts?

I have used my stickburners in rain, sleet, snow, and cold — no insulation and no issue. Back then I didn’t even have a remote thermometer, but modern tech sure makes it easier.

I realize there not stick burners but I’ve ran my WSM and my Stumps in below freezing temps, never a problem although the WSM would burn more fuel. The Stumps doesn’t care what the temp is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s too cold yet up welding blanket and put it over the smoker to hold in the heat

I've smoked in below zero weather. I've smoked a day after a blizzard. I have two snow brushes, one for my truck, the other for the smoker. I also have a snow shovel on the deck to clear a path to the smoker.

What is this too cold that you speak of?

Agree with everyone above. The temperature outside has never made much difference on a cook, and I actually prefer to smoke when it's a little chilly. I'm not a fan of smoking in the rain, but I finally broke down and purchased a vented tent (for my non-trailer mounted smoker) so now I smoke in all kinds of weather.

Poppycock! I am not a big fan of the rain or a heavy snow, but I have a half good canopy tent I can put up if I wanna. BBQ is okay in any temperature

Being in southern Arizona the coldest I have ever cooked was in the low 30's, felt good sitting next to the FB. I had one cook with snow falling did not seem to impact the cook just glad there was no wind associated with that cook.

It’s never too cold for a (good) stick burner. However, it may be too cold for the operator of the (good) stick burner.

Back