MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #1576
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

a couple of cooks done a while back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2733.jpg (94.4 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2724.jpg (36.7 KB, 358 views)

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #1577
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

also how long are the brisket cooks on the pbc? doing one on saturday and didnt know of approximate length of cook. 2 halved chickens take almost exactly 2 hours. shoulders 6-7 hours before rest period is how hot mine usually runs

Old 11-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #1578
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
I'm thinking I'll try doing a turkey for T-day. Any suggestions on rubs?
Aside from what's been suggested, Plowboys Yardbird is good. KosmosQ's Dirty Bird is good. And if you wanna give the bird a Cajun flavor, inject it with a Creole butter injection and rub it with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Just understand TC's isn't really a rub so be careful how much you use. It's pretty salty and depending on your ability to tolerate spice, it can be pretty spicy hot. Good luck!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #1579
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
also how long are the brisket cooks on the pbc? doing one on saturday and didnt know of approximate length of cook. 2 halved chickens take almost exactly 2 hours. shoulders 6-7 hours before rest period is how hot mine usually runs
Depends on the Brisket size, but I did a 11lb Brisket and it took about 7 hrs. But I don't like cooking to a time frame when cooking on the PBC because most people who do don't use a thermometer to monitor the temp of the PBC. Since the temperature can range anywhere from 260-350, cook times will be different for each person. I use a thermometer and I target 275° for almost everything.

Edit: Nice cooks you posted there. Is the top one a pepper stout beef?
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 11-03-2015 at 05:49 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #1580
bradymartin
Banned

im still intrigued by this thing.

i recently tried roadside chicken on my lodge hibachi and i liked the flavor. the drippings oil/fat from chicken dripped down to the coals, got vaporized and sort of flavored the chicken. does this cooker do pretty much the same thing?

also, i have a thermapen, a dot and a chef alarm.

if i got a pbc id rather not have to open and use thermapen to check meat. can i insert dot or chef alarm in meat and the wire wont get burned by the heat? the pbc doesnt cook indirect.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #1581
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
if i got a pbc id rather not have to open and use thermapen to check meat. can i insert dot or chef alarm in meat and the wire wont get burned by the heat? the pbc doesnt cook indirect.
I'm not familiar with your thermometers but I use a Maverick et-733 with no issues. I just insert a probe through one of the rebar holes and hang it on the rebar. The picture below is how I use it. If I want to monitor meat temperature I'll do the same thing just insert a probe in the meat. It is direct heat but if you follow the lighting instructions and set the vent cap properly you'll be in the 260-330ish temp range. Plenty safe for a thermometer probe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150802_180736.jpg (55.4 KB, 353 views)
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 11-03-2015 at 10:48 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #1582
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
Quote:

i recently tried roadside chicken on my lodge hibachi and i liked the flavor. the drippings oil/fat from chicken dripped down to the coals, got vaporized and sort of flavored the chicken. does this cooker do pretty much the same thing?

I'll second what Andrew said and Bradymartin, yes it "self bastes" the meat just like you described it.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #1583
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yes, either the Dot or the ChefAlarm work fine and the wire doesn't burn (it will get blackened a bit by the smoke). The cable feeds nicely through the rebar holes of the PBC. And the PBC does cook indirect, it just does it in an unconventional way. The entire barrel become a solid column of heat, with no hot spots or cool spots.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #1584
Fwismoker

Hey I'm gotta do a decent sized cook and they want mostly chicken quarters. Most likely I have to cook about 60 quarters but not all at once, it will be done in batches.

My plan is to cook about 20-22 at once very H&F... I wonder if I can fit 20-22 quarters on 3 rods in the UDS? It'll be interesting...the cook is Saturday and i'll post pics if anyone is interested in seeing if I can cram that many in there! LOL The plan is to spog rug and then baste them with Carolina sauce to finish.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #1585
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Hey I'm gotta do a decent sized cook and they want mostly chicken quarters. Most likely I have to cook about 60 quarters but not all at once, it will be done in batches.

My plan is to cook about 20-22 at once very H&F... I wonder if I can fit 20-22 quarters on 3 rods in the UDS? It'll be interesting...the cook is Saturday and i'll post pics if anyone is interested in seeing if I can cram that many in there! LOL The plan is to spog rug and then baste them with Carolina sauce to finish.

7 quarters per rod? I think you'll have plenty of room. Your UDS is the 55 gal drum, right? Or are you talkin about your "Jimmy"?
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #1586
lonestar8302
Found some matches.

Getting ready to do brisket #3 this weekend, and I'm a little worried. #1 was fantastic, melt in your mouth awesomeness, but #2 was dry and a little tough. The only thing that saved it was the pot of homemade beans my wife made (because of all the bean juice). #1 was 6.3 lb flat, 7 hours cook time and I pulled it off at a temp of 215 (never pulled one off that high before). #2 was 7.3lb flat, 5.5 hours cooking pulled with a temp of 207. At first I thought I somehow overcooked #2, but looking back (cook was 10 Oct) it didn't pass the "knife in hot butter" test, so now I'm thinking it just wasn't done and I should've let it go higher like #1. Which seems wierd to me because the dozen brisket flat's I've done on my weber kettle were all falling apart at 205.

Just thinking out loud here. Hope everyone has a good weekend!
lonestar8302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #1587
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
7 quarters per rod? I think you'll have plenty of room. Your UDS is the 55 gal drum, right? Or are you talkin about your "Jimmy"?
Yea it's gonna be the 55 size....what i was thinking was it should take up about as much size as doing halves so I wasn't sure. Who knows maybe I can fit 24-25 quarters, but just in case I think I'll take the jimmy as a back up.

I gotta do hotdogs too so what i'm planning is cooking them hanging them to basically done and maybe glaze them and sear it on my wood fired grill because i'm dragging that along to cook the hotdogs...but dogs only take 5 minutes or so on there.

Should be a fun cook, I just hope it goes smooth.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #1588
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=
Edit: Nice cooks you posted there. Is the top one a pepper stout beef?[/QUOTE]

yeah the top one was pepper beef stout and the bottom one was a garlic herb chicken with rosemary and season potatoes

Old 11-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #1589
Beach Brian
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Waiting for the turkey attachment and grill grate to come in (hopefully tomorrow). Thought I'd try a turkey this weekend. Any pointers on cooking times with a probe?
Beach Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #1590
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Andrew here's what i got, It's notched so I can just pull out the rods..figured it'd be nice to be able to pull in case of the need to refuel because i'm gonna cook pretty hot. Drilled holes around the perimeter so that should even out the heat.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it