MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #211
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I do a turkey on my weber every year. First you gotta brine it overnight, ya just gotta. I keep it simple and it works great. I fill a chimney to the top and get the coals going. I do indirect, obviously, on one side only with a sloped pile. Both bottom and top vents are open all the way, I don't choke em down at all. Put the bird on (with apples and lemons inside) and cover the breast for the first 45 mins with a foil cover. Add wood chips. I don't baste, I don't peek, nada. Put a temp probe in the breast and remove when it hits your target temp. Mahogany, beautiful and moist are three words that come to mind.

Oops, forgot to add: the largest I ever did was 20 pounds. That sucker came right up to the vent holes in the lid, I couldn't believe it actually fit!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #212
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow a 20lb. bird cool. Your using a standard brine? How long does it normally take and what internal temp are we shooting for? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm new to smoking and this will be my first time doing a turkey on the weber.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #213
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Finished internal temp can sometimes be debated, you know, lawyers n stuff, but the official temp from the CDC is 165, http://www.cdc.gov/features/turkeytime/. If thats what they say then thats what I say. If it's not what you like then next time adjust to your liking. Turkeys are usually cheap enough to experiment with.

Cooking time will depend on your bird, set up, etc. Too many variables but anywhere from 3-4 hours will be your ballpark, but let your temp prope tell you when its done. Do not trust those pop up dealeos in the birds, those are useless and not to be trusted.

Brine can be anything you like, whatever ends up in the brine will end up in your bird. Google can help you there, I started with Alton Browns brine from Foodnetwork and modified from there over the years.

Good luck. Post some pics.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #214
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the advice. I may do a smaller bird to get some practice before the thanksgiving bird. Will post pics when I do a smoke. Thanks Again.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #215
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

We usually do a fried bird and the women always do one in the oven. Sometimes we'll also have a goose or two. Now I have to add a smoked bird. We're gonna have to cut back on sides around here!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #216
CostaRican
Got Wood.

Times were tough and I had a brinkman electric for smoking and a weber gasser...wanted a better electric smoker .....bought a weber keetle as a substitute....quickly abandoned gas grills altogether and built myself a uds to stand next to my weber...luv em!
CostaRican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #217
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

This pit pron is obscene!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #218
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

I did a Spatch'd Turkey on my Kettle a few months ago...came out great This bird was about 14 lbs... I suppose you could do a larger bird and spatchcock it to get it to fit in the kettle as well. I do regret not putting a couple of half lemons under the breast skin before cooking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey.jpg (86.8 KB, 1026 views)

Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #219
BBQ Grail

As many of you know last August I purchased a 26 inch Weber Kettle. I was one of the first in the nation to get my hands on this work of grilling art.

If you've been around or read my blog you know that when I opened the box the lid of my new kettle was scratched.

I called Weber and since they have some of the best customer service around they shipped me a brand new lid to replaced the scratched one. "Do I need to return the old one?" I asked.

"No, there's no need for that." she replied.

Last night I went out to grill some sausages and one of the welds on the handle of the bowl broke. In looking at the rust that was there it was evident it wasn't a good weld to begin with.

Today, I called Weber to complain. "No, problem" they said, we'll just ship you a whole new bowl.

"Do you want me to ship you back the old one?" I asked again.

"No, there is no need to do that." she again replied.

"You know you guys got great customer service." I said

"Yes, We pride ourselves in that. Is there anything you'd like to order from us while you're on the phone?" she asked.

So since I got an extra lid and I'm getting a new bowl to go with the extra lid. And I've already JB Welded the handle back on the old one I went a head a ordered a set of grates and an ash catcher.

Can you say...TWO 26 inch weber kettles now!

SCORE!!!!!!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #220
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Some people have all the luck, or unluck??

Nice score and service. I deal with a couple of companies that have the same service as weber, not q related.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #221
Radical Rick
Knows what a fatty is.

Cheater!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #222
skeetman
Knows what a fatty is.

Knocked my ol' gray 22" kettle off the top of the motor home with a low tree branch pulling out the driveway on the way to Talladega last year. Bent the kettle out of round and bent one leg, straighten her up the best we could. She can't wait to go back to Talladega next week.
skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #223
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I am going tpo be a nice Dad this weekend. I just got a Large BGE and that is all I need right now with my Webber Gasser so I am going to give my 22 1/2 inch Kettle to my oldest son this weekend with a bag of Humphrys Lump
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #224
tubadude
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
I am going tpo be a nice Dad this weekend. I just got a Large BGE and that is all I need right now with my Webber Gasser so I am going to give my 22 1/2 inch Kettle to my oldest son this weekend with a bag of Humphrys Lump
Lucky Dad...Lucky son!!
tubadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #225
texman02
Full Fledged Farker

I rescued one for $30 bucks on CL.... Does that qualify me to be in the society? Was going to be sacrificial for my uds but was in such good shape I bought a new lid from Weber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0877.jpg (72.3 KB, 954 views)

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods