MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
BBQPitt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Am I the only Idiot around that actually likes.....

all night brisket cooks? I always have a built in excuse that I can't do any clean up, since I obviously need a nap.
BBQPitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Haha, I haven't done a brisket overnight yet. I have put a pork butt on the UDS at 10:00pm once and went to bed. Let the Maverick Alarm wake me up when the IT hit 190. Love the UDS set it and forget it method.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't mind the long cooks, but, they don't like me.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I like to cook overnight too when it's possible. My biggest problem is that I'm usually cooking for a dinner meal in the realm of 6pm. I don't like to finish the meat up too early. I had a 7.5 pound brisket flat today and I waited until 7am to put it on and it came off at 3:15 which was just about perfect timing...

Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

I've done the all night smoke house deals but getting too old for that. I prefewr the early morning start.
Many time it is a throw the last wood in, lock the door and go to bed. Meat surprise in the morning!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I love being outside stickburning all night at a comp or at home. I love the peace and the fun of tending a fire all night/morning/afternoon long.

I also love all night cooks in the Yoder pellet pit and just letting it do its thing while I sleep. It just depends on my mood that day.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

If it's a choice between a 9-12 hour cook during the night, or 9-12 hours in bed with Mrs SJ, Mrs SJ wins......

It helps that my UDS will hold temp for that long....:) Everybody is happy then.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Ahh the beauty of the DigiQ. I used to fret all-night cooks. I could "sleep" -- but it wasn't a good sleep since I'd have anxiety about the expensive cut of meat on the smoker I'm likely to ruin, and the dozens of people coming over tomorrow who will be only marginally impressed at my 'Q abilities.

Now, I can dial in my pit temp, set my desired food temp -- and go to bed at a reasonable time. Let the tinkering happen when I wake up. Makes for a MUCH more enjoyable BBQ experience, albeit at an expense.

-Bastid
Weber Genesis E-310 - Gas
Weber Smokey Joe (A RED one!)
Unfathomable Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your a dieing breed, staying up all night and being to pooped to pop the next 3 days is why I cook H&F. Fire the pit at 7 brisket on before 8 done by 2. sleep like a Baby all night long Priceless.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Biged92
On the road to being a farker

I have a brisket on the pit now that has been cooking since midnight last night. This is my first all night non-comp brisket cook. Since I now have my Stoker dialed in, I set the temp at 225 and went to bed. So far so good.

22.5 WSM w/ WiFi Stoker | 22.5" OTS | Assassin28 | Traeger Lil Tex Elite | GMG Daniel Boone
Biged92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

I enjoy hanging out all night about 6-7 times a year ..I start having a whimp attack if I do it every month !!
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQPitt View Post
all night brisket cooks? I always have a built in excuse that I can't do any clean up, since I obviously need a nap.
I suppose according to Bludawg we're a dieing breed... That said, I'll still catch a cat-nap before getting up around midnight for the cook. I cook hotter and faster than some, but not so's you'd say pure hot-n-fast; briskets (and shoulders) off around 11am; lunch served at 12:30pm rain or shine.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I suppose according to Bludawg we're a dieing breed... That said, I'll still catch a cat-nap before getting up around midnight for the cook. I cook hotter and faster than some, but not so's you'd say pure hot-n-fast; briskets (and shoulders) off around 11am; lunch served at 12:30pm rain or shine.
I think with the advent of pellet cookers, draft controllers and certain cookers that require minimal attention (Kamados, UDS, WSM, etc) that people have more options so they don't always know of the joys of tending a fire. I love stickburning more than any other method of cooking I can do, but the others are nice when I need the sleep and tending a fire is not an option. But when given my choice, I'm doing what you do; catch a quick nap that evening, then tending the stickburner all night. I love that experience and food quality more than any other cooking experience.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a "wake up at the butt crack of dawn" kind of guy myself.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
BBQPitt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Mrs. Pitt is a mean woman. I get bonus points for NOT coming to bed. At this point, I don't even think she likes brisket. I think she just likes me being out of the house.

I do tend to burn a couple of nicer sticks when I pull an all nighter. Something about lighting up a stogie at 3am and everything just seems right with the world.
BBQPitt is offline   Reply With Quote