MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #16
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Another excellent video Justin. Thanks!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Interesting! I do not have a kamado, but my dad-in-law does and he uses briquettes and just straight in, with no kick ash basket. It seems to work well for him although I thought he was wrong when I first found out because I thought you had to use lump in those to run well. Thanks for the insight!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #18
Yuccaneers
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Yuc

Justin been watching your videos lately. Good job and keep them coming.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #19
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I agree! Lots of guys wouldn't be able to admit that their expensive cookers aren't the chit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That's part of why I try to have an objective opinion on these things. Because I got burned a few times by people who did that and I realized they were not doing me any favors. It's tough though because it pisses people off. Like if I say "I think the Summit is one of the best smokers I've ever used but it's ridiculous they put plastic wheels on a $2K cooker" people accuse me of both being a fan boy and a hater...like back to back comments. No room for nuance. lol.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #20
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
That's part of why I try to have an objective opinion on these things. Because I got burned a few times by people who did that and I realized they were not doing me any favors. It's tough though because it pisses people off. Like if I say "I think the Summit is one of the best smokers I've ever used but it's ridiculous they put plastic wheels on a $2K cooker" people accuse me of both being a fan boy and a hater...like back to back comments. No room for nuance. lol.
It's funny what ticks ones senses. I don't really care about the wheels, replacement wheels are cheap. But that propane ignition system just looks ugly. Plus, based on my reading, for a low temp cook, it can't even be used.
So, for me, I look at it and think, "That's another air leak to cause temperature regulation issues".
I know of no other komado cooker that has an propane igniter, what were they thinking?

I'd like to find a cheap used one and fabricate a plate to seal the air leak. Then I can play.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #21
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
It's funny what ticks ones senses. I don't really care about the wheels, replacement wheels are cheap. But that propane ignition system just looks ugly. Plus, based on my reading, for a low temp cook, it can't even be used.
So, for me, I look at it and think, "That's another air leak to cause temperature regulation issues".
I know of no other komado cooker that has an propane igniter, what were they thinking?

I'd like to find a cheap used one and fabricate a plate to seal the air leak. Then I can play.
Lol. Yeah I almost never use the the starter. It would probably bug me more if I used it more.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 02-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #22
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
Interesting! I do not have a kamado, but my dad-in-law does and he uses briquettes and just straight in, with no kick ash basket. It seems to work well for him although I thought he was wrong when I first found out because I thought you had to use lump in those to run well. Thanks for the insight!
I think the physical shape of the individual cooker makes a big difference. I used to have a extra large big green egg and because it was rather short and wide I think you could go forever with briquette charcoal. In contrast my medium really had an issue.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #23
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Lol. Yeah I almost never use the the starter. It would probably bug me more if I used it more.
They needed to use a larger burner on the starter. It would barely light the charcoal anytime I tried. And it would definitely take ages to get the grill up to high temps.

On another note I swung by Lowe痴 and they have a kamado joe classic 20 percent off. I壇 be 662 otd. I知 really wanting a Pitts and spitts pellet to replace my Memphis and a hasty bake to replace my wscg I just sold. But I do miss my green egg.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #24
dadsr4

Quote:
I guess I was looking at the stand-a-lone. It hides better under the table.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
They needed to use a larger burner on the starter. It would barely light the charcoal anytime I tried. And it would definitely take ages to get the grill up to high temps.

On another note I swung by Lowe痴 and they have a kamado joe classic 20 percent off. I壇 be 662 otd. I知 really wanting a Pitts and spitts pellet to replace my Memphis and a hasty bake to replace my wscg I just sold. But I do miss my green egg.
What made you decide to get rid of the Memphis? That sounds like a good deal on the classic. The Hasty Bakes have always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who actually uses theirs on a regular basis. They all tell me how great they are built and then when I say "how often do you use it?" and they say "oh, last time I fired it up was 6 months ago. lol I'm sure it's probably a coincidence but it's funny how they all say the same thing. They seem really nice.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #26
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
What made you decide to get rid of the Memphis? That sounds like a good deal on the classic. The Hasty Bakes have always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who actually uses theirs on a regular basis. They all tell me how great they are built and then when I say "how often do you use it?" and they say "oh, last time I fired it up was 6 months ago. lol I'm sure it's probably a coincidence but it's funny how they all say the same thing. They seem really nice.

I still have it for sale on here. I do like it but too small for my needs. And my wife wants a larger cooker as well after getting rid of the rectec.

And I知 almost like you where I always switch out cookers. I知 in Tulsa where there are a ton of people with hasty bakes. Also an amazing bbq joint solely cooks on the HB. I want to see some videos of you cooking on one for sure. You should make a road trip to Tulsa and I値l buy you some ribs. I may be down in the Dallas area in March if you need a guest helper.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #27
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I still have it for sale on here. I do like it but too small for my needs. And my wife wants a larger cooker as well after getting rid of the rectec.

And I知 almost like you where I always switch out cookers. I知 in Tulsa where there are a ton of people with hasty bakes. Also an amazing bbq joint solely cooks on the HB. I want to see some videos of you cooking on one for sure. You should make a road trip to Tulsa and I値l buy you some ribs. I may be down in the Dallas area in March if you need a guest helper.
The irony is I was supposed to go to Tulsa yesterday but I've got a nasty cold and the trip got cancelled. lol

Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #28
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Well go to burnco for lunch or the Jenks one for dinner. Hit up the hasty bake store as well.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #29
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Well go to burnco for lunch or the Jenks one for dinner. Hit up the hasty bake store as well.
Noted. Unfortunately I won稚 be going tomorrow which is pretty much my last chance to go for this trip. I officially have bronchitis. Yuck

Tags
akorn, big green egg, KAMADO JOE, primo, pulled pork