First time fatty question

Sub-80

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research here...and thanks to the brethren for all the great info!

I'm thinking of adding a couple fatties to my bacon smoke this sat morning...smoking on a Stumps Baby.

My question is has anyone ever made fatties...then vac sealed and froze for future use. If so, how did you reheat, and how much does the freezing diminish the end product?

The reason I ask is I want to bring some fatties to a Xmas party in a few weeks...and I don't think I'll be able to smoke past this Sat morning (unless I find time to do it on my kettle). I'm using my buddy's Stumps this weekend...would fatties made now be good in 3 weeks post freeze? If not, I won't waste the sausage...thanks...

The freeze on the fatty will degrade the meat quality a little bit by making it a little bit mushier as the ice crystals will do their work on the meat. However I dont think the quality would suffer greatly from freezing where you would notice it.

I would definitely suggest that you find a couple of hours to smoke them on your kettle. Fatties dont take long (~2hrs) to smoke and I personally would find the time closer to when you need them to cook them.

Thanks...and I hear you

I hope to have time to do the smoke myself on the kettle...just don't know. I think I'll do some this sat just in case...

Back