How do I cook this Deer Sausage?

DRMSMKER

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a few packs of this from my uncle. How should I cook it? I assume throw it on a smoker? Or grill over hot coals direct? Internal temp?
forgot to add the pic:

Thanks

Last edited:
Just treat it like any other kind of sausage. If I were temping it, I would go to 165, just because you don't know what else is in it.

Yeah cook it like any type of sausage link, grill it, fry it, cut it in grits...whatever tickles your fancy.

Low and Slow to 165° F.

Probably a 2 to 4 beer cooking time.
(2 for a tea toddler, 4 for me.)
Enjoy!

(Maybe call your Uncle, say Thank You, and ask what he suggests. The obvious...) :razz:

YOU have a chest freezer.
I know. Because my Garage floor looks the same way when digging for dollops of Meat.
I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night...

Low and Slow to 165° F.

Enjoy!

(Maybe call your Uncle, say Thank You, and ask what he suggests. The obvious...) :razz:

I know. Because my Garage floor looks the same way when digging for dollops of Meat.

My uncle has no idea about smoking meats. I've smoked butts for him so he just gave this too me. I just called the people who process it and they said they only add some spices to the meat before casing it and don't add any cure so I assume my cooker needs to be atleast 225. They said they smoke it at 200 for 4 to 5 hours but again with no cure I'm scared that might be too low.

And yes I do have a chest freeze. it's not that big so most times the floor becomes a sorting ground when searching for stuff haha. Oh first world problems.
I think i'm just gonna go at 225 til 165 and see how it goes. If I don't like it thin i'll try over direct heat next time.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Low and Slow to 165° F.

Enjoy!

Whoa.. what a weird sense of Deja Vu.... I opened this thread and seen your post.. and I swear I've seen this whole thread before.. with your post about the beers LOL

There should be some pork fat added to the sausage - venison is too lean to be by itself.
Do not overcook it or it will be way to dry as mentioned.

We process quite a bit of deer sausage. I personally like to grill it until the casing (I use natural hog casing)starts to split... Put it on a bun, DELICIOUS!!! :thumb:

Whoa.. what a weird sense of Deja Vu.... I opened this thread and seen your post.. and I swear I've seen this whole thread before.. with your post about the beers LOL

Probably. I'm pretty consistent.
Especially about BBQ and Beer.
Beer is a Quintessential safety item for BBQing. I apply it externally to burns, and internally in case of burns.

But 225° F, until it reaches 165° F (~) is good.
If possible, an internal remote probe is how I monitor my sausage cooking.

Beer was so important to me, I now have a Beer/Curing Fridge out by my equipment.
(I didn't want to get yelled at for making the house fridge stink of smoked bacon during my process)
BEER! It's not just for Breakfast anymore! :laugh:

There should be some pork fat added to the sausage - venison is too lean to be by itself.
Do not overcook it or it will be way to dry as mentioned.

They did tell me they added pork fat to the 1lb packs for ground venison I have. She didn't mention any thing like that for the sausage. Just seasoning and sage.
Is 165 going to be too high of a IT. Should i go more for 145 to 150?

dare I even try to sous vide it haha. I got a bunch of it to try different methods:)

First off it's a good thing you called the processor, because if they had added cure you would have been safe smoke-cooking to 152 - 155°. Without cure, it's a ground whole muscle "fresh" sausage and USDA recommends getting it above 140° in 4 hours, and taking it to 165° for a finish internal temp. You can cheat that a few degrees because of the carry over unless you have a very low pit temp and don't get a rise in temp while resting.

If possible, I would suggest ringing it and hanging, this way you have both ends high and this will help with it comes to loosing any liquid while cooking. When I make my own rings I leave extra gut, and tie in butchers string, so you might have to squeeze a little meat out and tie a know in the end, then come back with string to make a hanging loop. Just make sure you don't overshoot the 165° or the fats can break and the sausage could become dry and mealy.

MvUOcbN.jpg

Back