MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 2019 Comps in Chicagoland area?

Hey there, I’m looking to do a comp this year but am finding that a number of local comps in my area are no longer held.

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Looking at the Master Series events on the KCBS site there’s only 3 comps within 150 miles this summer, and two of those are coming up too quick (mid-June).

Is anyone aware of some other comps going on in NE Illinois or SE Wisconsin?

May 2014 Shirley Fabrication 24x65" Cabinet model trailer pit with warmer

Kamado Joe "Big Joe"

Very ugly UDS
Weber Performer
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm in the same boat. Getting tough find comps around here (SE WI). We travel about the same distance. I also got my CBJ this year and can't find one to Judge either. I put my name in the hat for three so far, 2 I never heard back from and the other I'm wait listed on.

I used to have 2 well attended comps within 5 miles of my house and I don't think either of them are on for this year! What's up?????

Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Westmont is this coming weekend, Belvedere is in about a month. Then one at the Chicagoland speedway in Joliet the week after that. Beardstown In 3 weeks isn’t too far, so is Kewanee the week after that, then Peoria in late July and Union Grove, WI in October.

The KCBS web site now has the ability to search by distance, too.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

Troy! Great to see you’re still on here. Is the old Kenosha Grill Games kaput now? I know they changed the name and venue a couple years ago but it doesn’t look like it’s on the docket for 2019.

Also miss having Lamb’s Farm in Libertyville do their comp. Very close and convenient.

I’d love to hit the Belvedere comp but I haven’t competed in almost 4 years and trying to ramp things up in a month would be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Getting tough find comps around here (SE WI). We travel about the same distance. I also got my CBJ this year and can't find one to Judge either. I put my name in the hat for three so far, 2 I never heard back from and the other I'm wait listed on.

I used to have 2 well attended comps within 5 miles of my house and I don't think either of them are on for this year! What's up?????

May 2014 Shirley Fabrication 24x65" Cabinet model trailer pit with warmer

Kamado Joe "Big Joe"

Very ugly UDS
Weber Performer
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
Troy! Great to see you’re still on here. Is the old Kenosha Grill Games kaput now? I know they changed the name and venue a couple years ago but it doesn’t look like it’s on the docket for 2019.

Also miss having Lamb’s Farm in Libertyville do their comp. Very close and convenient.

I’d love to hit the Belvedere comp but I haven’t competed in almost 4 years and trying to ramp things up in a month would be tough.
Yep, Lou from the Chamber of Commerce used to run it, then they transitioned to the "What's Happening" magazine and it got a little sketchy. Right after that Lou sent out an Email saying that grill games was done. Not sure if his intent was to communicate the the name "Grill Games" will no longer be used or if the whole thing is gone, but it seems like the latter.