Enough Pulled Pork?

aGATORSfan

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After reading many threads regarding "how much food do I need", I am doing a fundraiser for a local church's youth group. They have purchased 101 lbs of Boston butt. I figure this fill make approx. 200 sandwiches?? Am I close in this calculation or am I way off? They asked me how much sauce they will need. I told them a gallon? This is my first time cooking for this many people, so I'm learning as I go. Thanks in advance for any information that may help with this event!!

Starting with 101 lbs. you should get around 60 lbs of finished product. We do 1/3 lb. sandwiches, and they are plenty big! So I would get around 180. Your numbers are not far off, especially if you do 1/4lb. sammies.

After reading many threads regarding "how much food do I need", I am doing a fundraiser for a local church's youth group. They have purchased 101 lbs of Boston butt. I figure this fill make approx. 200 sandwiches?? Am I close in this calculation or am I way off? They asked me how much sauce they will need. I told them a gallon? This is my first time cooking for this many people, so I'm learning as I go. Thanks in advance for any information that may help with this event!!

Boston Butts yield 50-60% of their weight.
Sammich uses between 1/4-1/3 lb of cooked meat.

Going with the lower yield and higher amount of meat in a sammich.

100lb of pork butt will yield 50lbs of cooked meat.
1 lb of cooked meat will make 3 sammiches.
50lbs of cooked meat will yield 150 1/3lb sammiches.

Going with the higher yield and lower amount of meat in a sammich
100lbs of pork butt will yield 60lbs of cooked meat
1lb of cooked meat will make 4 sammiches
60lbs of cooked meat will yield 240 1/4 sammiches.

If you want to yield 200 sammiches, it would be a safer bet to make them 1/4 lbers. Because if at 50% yield that much pork butt will yield 200 sammiches.

If you want to yield 200 sammiches, it would be a safer bet to make them 1/4 lbers. Because if at 50% yield that much pork butt will yield 200 sammiches.
And if this isn't something you are used to and you don't have a good feel for 1/4 lb vs 1/3 lb, you might do a few extra butts just to be sure you don't run out.

You've got plenty of meat, if you're serving it. If it's going on a self service line people take a lot of meat. I use the general rule of 1 10lb butt makes 20 sandwiches.

I agree with everyone above....50%-60% yield and I usually go with 1/4lb sandwiches for large groups.

For the next one, go to your local restaurant supply company and check out the different sizes of portion scoops. When doing a lot of sammies it can be very useful to have consistent portions. That way you can figure out what size scoop you need for either a 1/4# or 1/3# sammie.

BTW - a gallon of sauce sounds a little lean, particularly when you figure on having a little extra out in bowls for patrons to add a bit more to their sandwich.

You'll need more than a gallon of sauce..... some on the pork and some in bottles

I'd either use a scoop or a little digital scale for portioning. I'm a scale guy myself since scoops can be off by a good bit depending on how they're packed. Go with a lower portion per sandwich and end up with some extras at the end.

I agree with the comments above. 50-60% yield and more than a gallon of sauce.

And you said you would never use algebra after you got out of high school :wink:

Why not take it a step further and provide a couple different style sauces. Or even a spicier version of the original.

That's plenty of meat BUT make sure there are plenty of sides. Reason being make sure everyone knows that any leftovers go to the cook for his services. I would go two gallons of ENC sauce and one gallon of a red like Cattleman's. A portion scoop you bet! I would go on the smaller side with seconds if they want. Some folks want it naked so don't worry about extra buns. And don't forget lots of coleslaw. Blue grass music would be fine. Good luck!

I would weigh the meat for the sandwiches, and let people buy made sanwiches, at 1/4 pound of finished product per sandwich. I believe in AAWA's numbers, except that I consider 50% yield to be a pretty solid number, 60% has not been my experience once I have all of the meat trimmed and ready for the cooker.

100 pounds of meat in cryo does not mean 100 pounds of meat on the cooker. You are close, but, could be low by about 10%, so, if 190 sandwiches is fine, then you are golden. Weigh them, that is my biggest tip. Portioners are great for soft product, but, with meat, the variation can be quite notable.

I would weigh the meat for the sandwiches, and let people buy made sanwiches, at 1/4 pound of finished product per sandwich. I believe in AAWA's numbers, except that I consider 50% yield to be a pretty solid number, 60% has not been my experience once I have all of the meat trimmed and ready for the cooker.

100 pounds of meat in cryo does not mean 100 pounds of meat on the cooker. You are close, but, could be low by about 10%, so, if 190 sandwiches is fine, then you are golden. Weigh them, that is my biggest tip. Portioners are great for soft product, but, with meat, the variation can be quite notable.

Good advice coming from an ex Texan! :clap2: :laugh:

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Well, I would like to buy several sauces, but it is the Church's money. So, I thought it would be safe to go with Sweet Baby Ray's Original. I plan of having enough Plow Boy's, that I am paying for, to where they won't need much sauce. I did figure for 1/4. Though we don't want folks to feel cheated on an $8 plate with baked beans and slaw, with their sandwich. I think one of the church members works in a school cafeteria and is bringing scales. I won't be doing the serving, only the smoking. I suggested that they get some chicken qtrs. just as a back up(30 lbs). Thanks for all the replies!! I'm happy that I at least, was in the same ballpark!!

Back