MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #106
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakPit View Post
Why all of the California bashing? I've gotta chime in - name a beef cut that is worse than brisket...No other cut chews up more fuel, time and rub to come out only marginal. I cook them cuz I have to - not cuz I want to. Almost every other cut is both more flavorful and easier to prepare. This is not a regional thing to me, it is generally accepted that brisket is a low grade cut of meat. And the idea to cook something for its "Fat" is interesting, Why not just get a lump of lard and season it up?

Please give me any other cut from the cow...especially a nice plump Tri Tip even with all the fat left on...still better in my mind.

A respectful .02 to those who love brisket, just not my preference.
How do you want to define low grade? Brisket, butt, and to a degree ribs are all tough fatty cuts of meat that need to be cooked right but to me I don't think they're "worse" than other cuts on the animal. And then we go to the flip side and people go nuts for beef tenderloin which I think is very bland.

Now that said in general I find that I get bored of well done beef roasts like brisket or chuck far sooner than I do pulled pork.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #107
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Also, Tim, sounds like it's time for another bash at your place. This time it will be the "Wagu Brisket Turned into Hamburgers" bash. We can post pics of the entire process from opening the package to grinding the meat. It'll be like watching a car wreck! Set it up!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #108
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybomb View Post
How do you want to define low grade? Brisket, butt, and to a degree ribs are all tough fatty cuts of meat that need to be cooked right but to me I don't think they're "worse" than other cuts on the animal. And then we go to the flip side and people go nuts for beef tenderloin which I think is very bland.

Now that said in general I find that I get bored of well done beef roasts like brisket or chuck far sooner than I do pulled pork.
Soy, I meant "low grade" in terms of general quality of meat structure and inherent flavor profiles compared to other cuts on a cow. I couldn't agree more about roast beef that has been miserably overcooked. Tenderloin gets high points for tenderness, but nearly a zero on flavor. I agree with you.

When one compares pork, shoulders and ribs, they are not "low grade" their inherent flavor and meat structure are desirable. They are made even more attractive by their ability be easily prepared and cooked.

I completely realize that my personal definition of "Low Grade" anything is completely subjective, and I certainly would not promote it as more.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #109
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=JiveTurkey;1670529]Also, Tim, sounds like it's time for another bash at your place. This time it will be the "Wagu Brisket Turned into Hamburgers" bash. We can post pics of the entire process from opening the package to grinding the meat. It'll be like watching a car wreck! Set it up![/QUOTE

I'm down with that...I don't want any haters though. I'm just having fun with this.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #110
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
...Insults about being "Californian" are tossed around like we don't know anything about BBQ is pretty rude actually. Not sure why I'm sticking up for California since i hate this place with a passion ...It's like a mold growing on me. I gotta get outta here.
But, you already know there is no place to go, nowhere to run too. Now eat your crappy little tri-tip and go sit in the corner with Groundhog.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #111
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'm getting ready to start a 7.5 lb chuckie on the UDS, and it will not suck :)

Brisket is much harder to get right than chuckie, so that could explain why some people prefer other cuts of beef over it. If I had access to untrimmed choice Tri-tip at a decent price, I'd be singing praises too.

Unfortunately, it's a regional thing, and it isn't catching on down here.

It'd be cheaper to import it from CA than to move there though :)

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #112
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

Funny how Groundhog is catching all the crap about tri tip when I'm the one that brought it up.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #113
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Also, Tim, sounds like it's time for another bash at your place. This time it will be the "Wagu Brisket Turned into Hamburgers" bash. We can post pics of the entire process from opening the package to grinding the meat. It'll be like watching a car wreck! Set it up!
All we need to do is agree on a date, I am in

Quote:
I'm down with that...I don't want any haters though. I'm just having fun with this.
Sounds like fun to me, bring your meat grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
But, you already know there is no place to go, nowhere to run too. Now eat your crappy little tri-tip and go sit in the corner with Groundhog.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #114
landarc

I do find it funny how there are so many cattle in other parts of the country that seem to lack the bottom portion of the sirloin. I mean, it would seem that most cattle in Texas must certainly be born with whole sirloins, it is hard to understand their losing their tri-tip on the way to market.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #115
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by che22879 View Post
Funny how Groundhog is catching all the crap about tri tip when I'm the one that brought it up.
You can go sit in the corner with Groundhog and JT if that will make you feel better.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #116
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Just to clear this up...Picanha & Tri Tip are different...

Picanha is "rump cover steak". This cut of meat is from the primal loin, sub-primal sirloin. Actually what would have been the top half of a rump roast before block or square trimmed.

Tri Tip cut from the bottom sirloin primal. This is an individual muscle. There are only (2) per animal.

Two totally different cuts. Close to each other and high quality indeed, but not the same.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #117
landarc

Oh look, a sliced up soy bean brisket...

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #118
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Just to clear this up...Picanha & Tri Tip are different...

Picanha is "rump cover steak". This cut of meat is from the primal loin, sub-primal sirloin. Actually what would have been the top half of a rump roast before block or square trimmed.

Tri Tip cut from the bottom sirloin primal. This is an individual muscle. There are only (2) per animal.

Two totally different cuts. Close to each other and high quality indeed, but not the same.
Tim's been watching Rachel Ray again...pass it on...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #119
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

Just build a UDS

Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #120
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You can go sit in the corner with Groundhog and JT if that will make you feel better.
Bob, if you send everyone to the corner, will that be the first ever "Bad Brethren Corner Bash"? If so, I'd like to attend. It would be really great if you came too...and yeah you can bring the BBQ Granola - it actually sounds really good.

Tags
appreciation threads