• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Involvement

so, we're going away from chip draw and back to judges average seating in the next 11 days? Am I reading that right?

I know this is from the results of the survey, but if they could just come up with a system and keep it, that would be great.

so, we're going away from chip draw and back to judges average seating in the next 11 days? Am I reading that right?

I know this is from the results of the survey, but if they could just come up with a system and keep it, that would be great.

That's the way I read it. I think it's a bad idea, but the membership has spoken.

Maybe I'm not up to speed on the names of the methods to select judges, or maybe there are two names for the same method. Can someone set me straight? The styles I've witnessed were:

The "show of hands" where everyone migrates to a seat and then the Reps ask the MCBJ's to raise their hands and they were spread around the tables as evenly as possible. Next, the Reps asked questions like "more than 20 judged" or "more than 10 judged", or "less than 5 judged" and then they direct people to exchange seats with others.

The "shuffle" as it was called by some of the Reps which involved lining up outside the judges area in order of number of contests judged. Then everyone counts off according to the number of tables, and that gets you an assigned table. Once assigned they asked if you were seated with a spouse and they asked for MCBJ's to raise their hands. Minor re-seating might happen.

The "auto-seating" (for lack of a better term) where all judges updated their profile of total number of events judged and number of events in the previous year. When you show up and sign in, they told you your table number.

Maybe I'm not up to speed on the names of the methods to select judges, or maybe there are two names for the same method. Can someone set me straight? The styles I've witnessed were:

The "show of hands" where everyone migrates to a seat and then the Reps ask the MCBJ's to raise their hands and they were spread around the tables as evenly as possible. Next, the Reps asked questions like "more than 20 judged" or "more than 10 judged", or "less than 5 judged" and then they direct people to exchange seats with others.

The "shuffle" as it was called by some of the Reps which involved lining up outside the judges area in order of number of contests judged. Then everyone counts off according to the number of tables, and that gets you an assigned table. Once assigned they asked if you were seated with a spouse and they asked for MCBJ's to raise their hands. Minor re-seating might happen.

The "auto-seating" (for lack of a better term) where all judges updated their profile of total number of events judged and number of events in the previous year. When you show up and sign in, they told you your table number.

A process using a judge's average score has been used, and will be used again if I understand the minutes correctly.

A process using a judge's average score has been used, and will be used again if I understand the minutes correctly.

Any idea if the basis for this 'average score' is my average scores (for a particular category, at a particular comp) compared against the average score for the table at that comp? Here is some data from a comp in 2014:

My category average for 6 entries: 28.8245

The table average for the 6 entries 28.4732

Any idea if the basis for this 'average score' is my average scores (for a particular category, at a particular comp) compared against the average score for the table at that comp? Here is some data from a comp in 2014:

Probably not. It's definitely an imperfect system.

I am actually in favor of this method, but to change the format again, mid year, is not something I'm in favor of. Do it for 2020, imo.

I don't know for certain what, if any, changes may be implemented. The previous method used a judges cumulative average that covered all categories and events since scoring data started getting captured with the introduction of KCBScore.

Beyond that, I probably can't discuss anything else without getting into proprietary info. The use of the mean has been publicly disclosed, but the way it's used has not to my knowledge.

I don't know for certain what, if any, changes may be implemented. The previous method used a judges cumulative average that covered all categories and events since scoring data started getting captured with the introduction of KCBScore.

I talked to a Rep last year and was told that the average was a rolling average of only your last 10 contests judged. If you didn't have 10 but 5 or more, they used your scores for an average. If you had less than 5, they used your scores and they had an average for new judges and your average was a combination of your scores and the newbie average. I have already email the BOD and said no matter what they chose to implement, please explain it to the membership.

I talked to a Rep last year and was told that the average was a rolling average of only your last 10 contests judged. If you didn't have 10 but 5 or more, they used your scores for an average. If you had less than 5, they used your scores and they had an average for new judges and your average was a combination of your scores and the newbie average. I have already email the BOD and said no matter what they chose to implement, please explain it to the membership.

That wasn't what I took away from listening to the guy that developed the process that was used, but I could be mistaken.

This is absolutely dumb. That system is flawed and fixed nothing. If anything it made things worse. It should never be implemented again. All this does is kick the can down the road and ignore the actual problem.

I guess we are dictated by mob rule now.

That wasn't what I took away from listening to the guy that developed the process that was used, but I could be mistaken.
Can anything be learned by listening to him? When you debate him, the story changes on what the purpose of the seating system is based on the point you make.

This is absolutely dumb. That system is flawed and fixed nothing. If anything it made things worse. It should never be implemented again. All this does is kick the can down the road and ignore the actual problem.

I guess we are dictated by mob rule now.

The system is/was flawed (I suppose there could be improvements made before it is re-instituted in like a week, but I doubt it). However, I think that developing the system and refining it is the best way forward. I know we'll disagree on that, and that's cool. I am not married to this idea, but the chip draw doesn't actually do anything. If someone has a better idea then I'll listen.

That being said, training is the real issue, and the only way that we'll have long term improvement is by improving the training that judges receive, combined with a seating system that will decrease the likelihood (you'll never remove them) of TOD/TOA. If you're not doing both, you're not going to have the results you want long term.

When %75 of judges only judge 1-2 contests a year there is no data that can be relied on. And if there was, what's the goal? The creator of the current system says that it wasn't designed to eliminate TOD or TOA's. Then what's the purpose? What's the problem that this is supposed to be a solution to?

Anything is a better idea than seating by scoring average. The southwest shuffle was still better than that.

The issue is a small handful of ****ty judges. We had one last weekend in montana. Some lady that had declared herself the best outdoor cook in the country and everyone else's bbq sucked, wrote everyone worthless comment cards and gave us bad scores. Granted it didn't matter, there were only 4 tables but rest assured, this idiot will be judging again.

Back