MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Default Buckboard Bacon Question

My significantly better half called me Tuesday morning and said the boss had announced their annual "Mater Sammich" day (it's a Georgia thing) for Aug 1 and she wanted some BBB to go on the sandwiches. Well, I did not have enough made and obviously didn't have two weeks. I bought a Boston Butt an cut about a 1 1/2 inch slab off the bottom cutting it horizontal and got t in the cure in the fridge. Will this piece that's about a third as thick as the original butt be ready to smoke and eat in eight days?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

August 1st isn't 8 days away!

But if a whole butt cures in 10 days I would think you could get away with that small a piece in 8 days.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

"August 1st isn't 8 days away!"

Sorry..Meant August 7.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksegers View Post
"August 1st isn't 8 days away!"

Sorry..Meant August 7.
Okay here is the deal...

Curing time is based on meat thickness: I use 9 or 10 days curing time on a 3 to 3-1/2 inch thick butt. About 8 days on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch thick butt. About 6 days on an average loin. Now, I'm sort of confused by your description are you saying that you have a hunk of butt that is full thickness and only 1-1/2" wide? And would that actually be something like 3" X 1-1/2"? What was the weight of the piece?

Don't forget about the rinse and soak out time, this could be 3 or 4 hours for your piece, and also you will need some rest time in the fridge, a few hours for this too. Your smoking time will be another 2 or 3 hours.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote