• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I decided to dub them "Shigen".

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wandering aimlessly through the grocery store, trying to think of something new to make, I came upon a sign saying that shrimp were on sale. That got me to thinking, I haven't done much with shrimp in a long time and certainly hadn't done them on the UDS before. Of course, I naturally jumped to thinking about wrapping them in bacon but, I wanted to try to do something a little bit more original than that. Wanting to have something that would possibly add to the flavors but not overpower the shrimp, I came up with the idea of using chicken. But what to call them? Shrimp + pig product + chicken = Shigen! And then further thought on it made me like the name even more so, here is the line up. 16-20 raw pealed shrimp, 2 chicken breasts large cubed, 1lb of No-name Maple thick cut bacon, 1/4 cup of rub, and some Hot BBQ Sauce for dipping.
001.jpg

Started off by mixing the rub into the chicken.
007.jpg

Then sliced alone the vain in the shrimp almost all the way through.
008.jpg

Then the chicken was stuffed into the vain of the shrimp.
010.jpg

Then the whole thing got wrapped in a half strip of bacon and toothpicked in place.
015.jpg

From there it was onto the UDS at 240 for about 35min.
017.jpg

Here they are all nice and pinked up and read to come off.
018.jpg

Ready for their close up.
023.jpg

Just put some of the Hot BBQ Sauce for dipping on the side and they are good to go!
029.jpg

The thing I love best about this recipe is that you can prepare the them with any sort of flavor profile you like. The chicken absorbs up whatever flavors you like while the shrimp gets the nice bacon and smoke taste on the outside with that great sweet shrimp taste the further in you go. You could also glaze them with any sauce or jelly you would like. It's a great light treat. I like leaving the tail on them, so you can pull the toothpick out but still have a handle for dipping.
When I thought about it more, the name seemed really appropriate. A small guy (shrimp) trying to mooch off a seasoned vet (bacon) because they're too much of a coward (chicken) at heart to come up with their own ideas. So Shigen sound totally appropriate. Thanks for looking!

Very nice I can see these being as big as A.B.T.s can't wait to try them I have everything to make them. Thanks so much.

I have to say, thanks, to all the great ideas you and the others have been giving me :clap2:

Wow! Another homer, right out of the park! You keep coming up with good stuff like that you will have to put out a cookbook.

Thanks very much all!
Looking at making some more of these in a couple of weeks and thinking about experimenting with an Asian Style and a Cajun style and seeing how they turn out.

Big Butz I have four pounds of large shrimp ready to rock tomorrow with your recipe. The wife and I rented a cottage on the lake here and we're having visitors and family so thanks so much.

Big Butz I have four pounds of large shrimp ready to rock tomorrow with your recipe. The wife and I rented a cottage on the lake here and we're having visitors and family so thanks so much.
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear!
...all I need is some shrimp,chicken and bacon!:cool:
...the rest Phollows...:becky:
Yeah, exactly, I'm good at theory more than step by step instruction type cooking plus, I'd rather inspire than spoon feed. :laugh:

I always write mine down and keep in a folder and this one is going in there too under favorites.

Back