UDS Build - How about a little Ugly Drum Smoker action?!?!

Nelskin

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Been reading a ton on this site the past six months and decided to just rock the house on one of these UDS builds. I'll do a bio in the proper forum as to what got me into smoking and all that good stuff when I get time. Just know this.. I have a passion for smoking food and brewing beer! =)

I just bought the 55 gallon drum from a local place. It's been cleaned out from the place I got it the paint has been stripped from the outside.

I am assuming the orange stuff inside is rust? If so, will a couple burn outs remove it or do I need to get dirty and sand the inside of this sucker?

Also, I did searches via the Google custom search and wasn't sure of the answers given there.

Thanks,

Jesse

drum1.JPG

Thanks a bunch! Out of curiosity, what does the veg oil actually do to the barrel?

Yeah, That's rust. Just give it a light sanding and oil it with some veg and you'll be good. Burn it after that.

By burn it, do you mean just do a season after I oil or an actual burn out with wood? Sorry for the questions, but since I bought an already refurbished drum, I wasn't sure.

Just spent ours sanding and lined the inside with veg oil. Wifey wants to go have dinner...

Can I leave the oil in the drum for a day or so and then burn it?

Thanks,

Jesse

Hate to do a shameful bump, but I really need to know if I need to stay up all night and burn this in now that I've oiled it? :(

Your drum will be fine for a couple days with a coat of oil in it. Light a basket full of charcoal when you are ready and let it burn for several hours. After the first few hours go ahead and throw in a fatty, butt, or some thighs. They all render quite a bit of oil and will help in the seasoning of the barrel.

Get some sleep tonight 'cause once you get started using that thing you will be addicted. It will get easier though once you get used to how it cooks and you will gain the confidence to set it before you go to bed and let it go all night.

Sorry its taken me so long to post my final results, but here it is! I absolutely love this thing and couldn't have built it without the support of these forums.

Future mods:

Table attachment, beer opener, a way to run my thermo wires through without pinching them through the lid seal.

I asked for most of the major components to make another for Christmas and got them. Can't want to build the next.

1229889_10201888283390292_1105506641_n.jpg

That's a pretty sweet looking drum. Would live to see some cook results. I am gathering the stuff for mine right now and hope to have it completed and broke in this weekend

Nice! I'm digging that exhaust. You build that or is it store bought?

And Hoping them ball valves are full gate valves. I put mine on only to realize they are not full gate. I got 3/4" ball valves with a 1/2" gate.

Take care!

Ray

Nice UDS ! Did you decide what changes your going to make to your next one?

Nice! I'm digging that exhaust. You build that or is it store bought?

And Hoping them ball valves are full gate valves. I put mine on only to realize they are not full gate. I got 3/4" ball valves with a 1/2" gate.

Take care!

Ray

I think thats the exhaust off a master forge grill from lowes....I had the same one and ended up returning it because the metal was so thin and couldnt hold up to heat worth a $%*&

Back