Brisket method question

angryfish01

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What would be the difference in a foil wrap (Texas Crutch) or wraping with butcher paper. Do both methods reduce cook time?
I don't want to spend 15-18 hour cook on this one, but don't want bad results ether.
Any advice or insights on this would be helpful.

Foil traps moisture in and creates a braising affect on the meat. Butcher paper acts as an insulator, traps heat and reduces cook time with out the braising affect. I much prefer butcher paper over foil!!!

How big is your brisket what temperature, flat or packer? More details please. What's your desired finished product bark wise?

The brisket has not yet been bought. It will be a whole packer.
I will cook at about 225-250.
Bark not as important as melt in your mouthness.

The last 15 lb packer I cooked took 6.5 hrs + a 3 hr rest.
I cook at 300
on the 4 th hour wrap in a single layer of BP
FC up
probe tender in in the thickest part of the flat at 2.5 hrs after wrapping
rest wrapped in BP on the counter until the IT drops to 150

Weird that foil gets termed the "Texas Crutch" but no Butcher Paper, pretty sure they both originated here.

Nowadays, foil is pretty much the sheep's crutch, since every new enthusiast seems to think wrapping in foil is a necessary part of BBQ.

If you plan to add a liquid when you wrap you will need foil. BP doesn't work too good with a liquid, tried it.

Get a big roaster pan with rack, sit brisket fat side up on rack inside of roaster pan. Crank the heat up to 300-350 and let her rip. No need for foil, bp etc...its the easiest way mistake proof method that i know of cooking a brisket. 10-15lb briskets done in less than 6hrs. Good luck in which ever way you choose to cook a brisket.

As many here, I've done brisket a bunch of different ways. Unless I'm adding some sort of liquid I prefer butcher paper over foil. I do like the result from butcher paper. However, it really isn't necessary. I mostly go naked.

To speed up the time, bump up the temp. I haven't tried 300 like others have suggested, but my experience with temps in the 260-275 range have been good. I will try 300 at some point because I see no good reason not to.

I really need to try a brisket per Bludawg.

That being said, as other have said, foil doesn't breathe as well as paper. I get more darkening and a better bark with paper, texture overall, has been better with paper. Before that, I basically did unwrapped. I add some moisture when I use BP and have not had problems, save for the time I had not properly folded the paper, and it unfolded as I carried it into the house. I now use a pan or board.

Nowadays, foil is pretty much the sheep's crutch, since every new enthusiast seems to think wrapping in foil is a necessary part of BBQ.
I don't agree. I have been BBQn for many years, most of the time for profit and still foil or pan when cooking for crowds. I don't have all day and night to wait for a piece of meat to be done. I also cook hot and fast.

Get a big roaster pan with rack, sit brisket fat side up on rack inside of roaster pan. Crank the heat up to 300-350 and let her rip. No need for foil, bp etc...its the easiest way mistake proof method that i know of cooking a brisket. 10-15lb briskets done in less than 6hrs. Good luck in which ever way you choose to cook a brisket.

I had a dream that this was an actual post on the BBQ Brethren.

Bottom line is you have many ways to smoke it. Figure out what works best for your needs and run with it. Whatever temp you decide run with, stick to it. And give yourself a few hours more than you expect it to take. You can easily rest a brisket in a cooler or microwave for 3-4 hours if its done to soon for dinner. Good luck

Bubba do you have a problem with this method? Have you ever tried it?

I see noting wrong with it. Works as advertised.
DSCF0017.jpg

I really need to try a brisket per Bludawg.

Ditto. Have never used butcher's paper but y'all have convinced me i need to give it a try.

Gracias, Bludawg, for your advice there.

Bubba do you have a problem with this method? Have you ever tried it?

I apologize brother!

I was drunk posting last night and could have swore i read that you were roasting in the oven! :tape:

I have used this method many times.

Back