Pellet Pooper Power

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere thats its unsafe to run the FE100 off a generator(Honda 3000).. :confused:

The Honda runs my computer, so I cant see it give the FE a problem... its supposed to be clean power...

or is it just safer to run off a powerpack and inverter?

Cheap generators don't have a good regulator in them to give a 60 hz sine wave and the govenor in them sometimes doesn't hold a steady speed and the output varies.

Computer (Esp laptop) power supplies are pretty flexable when it comes to power. They conver it to DC for the computer anyway. So I'm not sure I would use that as an indicator of the quality of your generator.

I would think the Honda is probably pretty good quality. If you have access to an O-scope you could check the outoput (voltage and HZ). You could also check it with a Multi meter but you wouldn't be able to see the quality of the sine wave. Remember to vary the load when you are checking it.

So the company probably makes a blanket statement since they cannot predict the quality of generator.

I'm pretty sure that Scottie ran his FECs off of his Honda generator for a couple of years (I think he just upgraded to a bigger model). I think he's on the road but he'll probably check in.

I would talk with cookshack, i believe the hona U1000 to 3000 are just fine, I personally run my FEC100 at comps from a inverter and marine battery. but was going to buy either the 2000 or 3000 Honda myself

Did I read somewhere thats its unsafe to run the FE100 off a generator(Honda 3000).. :confused:

The Honda runs my computer, so I cant see it give the FE a problem... its supposed to be clean power...

or is it just safer to run off a powerpack and inverter?

Pooh, you nailed it -- It isn't ok to run it off of a worksite generator... too much "dirty" / surgy power. But any generator that has a digital inverter (or sinewave inverter as some named) should be fine to run it on.

I can tell you there are a bunch of folks however, that use a marine battery with an inverter... and hook one of those conditioning chargers to it, off of thier genset.

You should be fine with your honda. Mine ran fine off the Kipor. Todd has run both his of the Kipor with no probs.

What about a small/cheap UPS in the middle?

An active UPS would be needed(those condition the power thru the battery before converting to AC) the small cheap ones aren't active and have a staright thru AC feed until the battery is kicked on thru voltage stop or drop.

Would a car booster pack with an inverter run one overnight or does it need deepcycle? The ar elisted as drawing 5 amps, whichs seems like alot for what its doing.

I bought Yamaha clean generator when I purchased my FEC. It runs the laptop but gives the cooker fits. I switched to a deep cycle marine battery with a sine inverter last year and it works perfect. Cookshack gave me several controllers to try to see if that was the issue but they all did the same thing. It is not an IQ by the way, just the old Traeger controller.

I've had my Honda 3000 for 3 seasons and it ran almost every contest and it worked like a charm for my FE and my FEC... I bought the new 6500 and have kept my 3000 as a back-up, that is how much I think of it...

You can get an Inverter generator . It coverts the power to 12 volts then through a built in inverter it converts it back to 120 v , so you can run a computer or anything that is sensative to hydro fluctuations.

Jules

Generators and Pellet Poopers.........aint that cheating? :)roll: Chit stirrer mod) I say go with coal and sticks and problem solved. (Stirs the pot some more):wink:

I have no feedback on generators or poopers. Just wanted to stir the pot. However, I now know what to look for in a generator when I get one. I figured they were all the same, guess not.
Now I know what to look for in a pooper too.........if I ever get one!

definately have to be aware of what generator your getting for what.

Worksite gens are great for circular saws, but will kill a refrigerator, wear out andAir conditioner and wreck havoc on electronics. The hondas are inverted sine wave generators that clean up the power by converting the AC power produced by the alternator to DC, smoothing it out thru some funky microprocessor and then inverting it back to AC. It claims to produce clean stable power.

not to mention they be REAL quiet. :)

I run my FEC 500 on a Honda 3000. There is no other generator than Honda for me, ever.

I change the oil with Mobile 1, and so far it just purrs along. We ran a Honda trash pump for 4 months straight in '93 during the flood. Put gas in it and stopped it once a week to check and add oil if needed. We still have it and it still works!

Back