MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #11881
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

These last a very long time, will take a lot more pressure when needed, no wires flying out to stab you.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/me...FQ7xOgodNDEA7A
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #11882
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
These last a very long time, will take a lot more pressure when needed, no wires flying out to stab you.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/me...FQ7xOgodNDEA7A
Thanks for that but I've already ordered the second ebay item I posted above!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #11883
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Stove rope.. Worth a purchase? The lid on my drum doesn't sit perfectly and I think it might help

Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #11884
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
Stove rope.. Worth a purchase? The lid on my drum doesn't sit perfectly and I think it might help
try padding it out with aluminium foil first. If it works, look for a more permanent gasket solution.
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #11885
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

As I'm going for a no weld approach with my UDS (you can see pictures on the previous page)

Is it sensible to use silicon adhesive like this around the ball valves etc? Is it safe to apply to the inside of the drum, or better to keep on the outside?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #11886
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

So long as you have washers on the valves I would've thought they'd be airtight enough, but yeah sure, use silicon if you like. Don't think it'd cause any problems if it was on the inside

Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #11887
Role
Found some matches.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie too,, up here in Canada,, (The Hockey Nation!), and I've just joined the BBQ Brethren forums and have been reading,, and reading,,, and reading!
I somehow, landed on a UDS site on the web a little while back,, and got really excited right away! I found a 55-gal. food-grade drum at a recycler, but instead of burning it out, (because even food-grade drums have a liner in'em), I had it sand blasted, inside and out. Lid and barrel. Then at Home Depot here in Ottawa, I ran into a sale (one-only), BBQ, similar to a Weber 22.5", thought it was the same size till I got it home, found that the lid was 1" too small! DANG! But the "grilling grill" fit the inside of the drum perfectly!
So I took the dome lid from the Q, and the drum lid, as well as the charcoal grill, (14" dia.) to a friend at a welding shop. He welded the 1" smaller lid from the Q I bought, to the drum lid rim, and then he cut the interior out of the drum lid, leaving about a 2" strip at the rim. Now I had a perfect fit, dome lid for my UDS! Next he welded a 12" high piece of expanded metal all the way around the circumference of the 14" charcoal grill, welded a bead around the top edge (to protect from the sharp edge of the expanded metal), and added a lifting handle.
I drilled three 7/8" holes, evenly spaced around the bottom of the barrel, (3" up from the bottom), which allowed me to thread in three 3/4" close black iron nipples. Capped two of'em, on the 3'rd, I screwed on a 90, and added a 3/4" x 24" long vertical extension, and there I put my 3/4" ball valve and plug, (for rain)
I'm hoping that will be enough for good airflow, (if not, I might have to add a BBQ Guru fan). Sorry if I'm ramblin' on, but I'm excited to get this UDS fired up!

Question, what do I need to do to season the inside of the barrel?
Role is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #11888
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would recommend using JB Weld if you want to seal/lock them in place.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #11889
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post

Question, what do I need to do to season the inside of the barrel?
wipe it all down with canola oil (be generous :o))
Then do a long slow burn - could even throw some food in for the last few hours..

Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #11890
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcal View Post
My drum is 30gal and has a 18.5 Weber lid, but in order to get the lid to fit I had to flip my drum over and use the bottom, so try flipping your drum over.
I might suggest, a perfect top solution for a 30 gal drum and save some work and add an esthetic dimension, a stainless steel salad bowl, as noted. The stack is stock from grille maker I forget, but should be easy to duplicate or create using exhaust parts or even stainless. Drilling the hole might be tedious, but can be done. Luckily, the chimney I used is the correct ratio relative to the vents...although I have yet to use with all open, and usually average 2 open and maybe the valve partially..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Squatchin 2.jpg (61.1 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg (89.4 KB, 588 views)
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #11891
Role
Found some matches.

Thanks Eggtastico, I had figured I'd have to apply some sort of vegetable, or other oil, to the inside. Good idea about the long slow burn,, will give me practice on dialing in temp., and season at the same time. And absolutely will throw in a chicken or some ribs for the last few hrs.
Another question, I'm looking for a temperature monitoring system like Maverick, or Guru, what's the best in your opinion?
Role is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #11892
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

"What about using the jelly stuff, to remove exterior rust spots..."Naval Jelly?"

The 30 gal drum above has gained some rust over winter in one area and I really do not want to spend much time on the clean and painting, at least not more than I spent doing the orig paint shot.
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #11893
Highcal
On the road to being a farker

Fufio, I had some question and decided on this stuff

Its food grade and good up to a constant 400F.

Hey Role, I hope your cheering on the Habs tonight, game seven baby, gonna kick some Boston azz in there own arena..... I hope lol
Highcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #11894
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post
wipe it all down with canola oil (be generous :o))
Then do a long slow burn - could even throw some food in for the last few hours..
Crisco/shortening works well too.
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
XL Big Green Egg(lite basket case, bringing it back)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #11895
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Thanks Eggtastico, I had figured I'd have to apply some sort of vegetable, or other oil, to the inside. Good idea about the long slow burn,, will give me practice on dialing in temp., and season at the same time. And absolutely will throw in a chicken or some ribs for the last few hrs.
Another question, I'm looking for a temperature monitoring system like Maverick, or Guru, what's the best in your opinion?
I cant help there much sorry.
I have a maverick & love it - but I have just built a Meter Maker to help with temps as well. Being in the UK, my options are quite limited :o(

There are all sorts of options & prices & its down to how much you are prepared to pay for what you need.
Do a search or maybe make a thread asking people's opinions on the ones you have narrowed it down to.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker