Kale in turn in boxes?

Because: "Rule 6. There is NO rule 6!" (Monty Python)

I think the rule is there because KCBS has rules and this is just another of them. Nothing against Kale specifically, just a rule.

I think it should be allowed as long as the Kale that goes into the box weighs a minimum of 5 lbs and has not been parted prior to going into the box. This will ensure that cooks don't just take the easy way out and only use the best parts of the Kale. The spirit of the original rule was that garnishing the boxes is to be a long tedious process.

Lets face it taking only the best parts of Kale and using it to make garnishing quicker and easier just ain't BBQ and if they allow that, then it might as well be a grilling contest!!!!!

I think it should be allowed as long as the Kale that goes into the box weighs a minimum of 5 lbs and has not been parted prior to going into the box. This will ensure that cooks don't just take the easy way out and only use the best parts of the Kale. The spirit of the original rule was that garnishing the boxes is to be a long tedious process.

Lets face it taking only the best parts of Kale and using it to make garnishing quicker and easier just ain't BBQ and if they allow that, then it might as well be a grilling contest!!!!!

Rabble-rouser...

:becky:

The guy on the TV said the boxes have to be identical in garnishing and overall look so the judges won't know who submitted what and therefore fairness is preserved.

There, a quality post from me in Comp.

:bolt:

I don't understand way kale can't be used because it does look good. My guess would be that it is because it is part of the cabbage family rather than the lettuce family.

I had to alert my table captain that a box had kale in it at a recent contest. She hadn't noticed. We had to give the box a 1 in appearance.

The guy on the TV special we watched was an instructor that certifies KCBS judges and the words out of his mouth were that a standard had to be enforced in order to prevent any judge from being able to tell who turned in the box. If one entrant goes to kale, all of KCBS must agree to go to kale -- and therein lies a lot of extra work and co-ordination for something they consider already 'fixed'.

The guy on the TV said the boxes have to be identical in garnishing and overall look so the judges won't know who submitted what and therefore fairness is preserved.

There, a quality post from me in Comp.

:bolt:

The guy on TV is wrong. There's no-thing, no-where, no-how that says boxes must be identical. There's a lot of variation in contest boxes. Marking is prohibited but there's a lot of variation in building boxes.

. . . If one entrant goes to kale, all of KCBS must agree to go to kale -- and therein lies a lot of extra work and co-ordination for something they consider already 'fixed'.

So why then do we have boxes of flat parsley, curly parsley or one of over 100 types of lettuce (the only exception is red-tipped lettuce which is illegal)?

All of my remarks are just to show how ignorant some of the so-called "experts" in the media can be. I don't know the thinking on why kale wasn't allowed in the beginning but for some media clown to come up with this is just crazy - he ought to judge a contest or two to see just how "identical" the boxes are. Sheesh!

Ya know.......who gives a chit. Whenever your in a competitive situation parameters have to be set.:blah:
Over the years I've competively pulled tractors-trucks, softball, wiffleball, fished all over the northern half of the country on the professional walleye circuits. At some point the governing bodies have to put rules in place. "If you can do that...then why not this" is always brought up. QUIT pissin n moaning!! If you don't like the rules.....move on to another hobby!!

sorry...............that's my story n I"m stickin to it.:rolleyes:

And one more thing when I get into compentitive fat guy go cart racing I probably won"t like some of those rules either!!

I think we can over complicate this kale thing.. Just keep rockin lettuce and parsley...

If you think Kale should be added as a Garnish, start a poll, then send the results to the KCBS rules commitee for considerartion.
Same goes for the pork rule. If you don't like the proposed 2014 rule, let KCBS know. There were several "no" votes at the last board meeting to the revised, revised, revised 2014 rule. The "no" votes were because the minimum weight limit of 5 pounds was removed. What do you think the pork rule for 2014 should be?

If you think Kale should be added as a Garnish, start a poll, then send the results to the KCBS rules commitee for considerartion.
Same goes for the pork rule. If you don't like the proposed 2014 rule, let KCBS know. There were several "no" votes at the last board meeting to the revised, revised, revised 2014 rule. The "no" votes were because the minimum weight limit of 5 pounds was removed. What do you think the pork rule for 2014 should be?

Well while I do have my opinions on the pork rule, I wasn't taking a backhanded shot at it. I was making a joke at the expense of all of the debate that the pork rule stirs up.

Back to the Kale discussion.

Back