MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
markgable
Found some matches.

Default Idea for newbies....

Hello everyone! I've been a member here for a while but don't think I've ever posted...so greetings to you all.
I had an idea I wanted to run by you...I just purchased a used FEC 120 pellet smoker. I've only cooked on stick burners and BGE in the past. I have things dialed in on my Southern Q 500 and BGE, but this FEC 120 is proving to be a tough learning curve to arrive at similar results as my other smokers. I read everything I could find here on the FEC 120 and the one thing that is tough to find is cook times/Temps and techniques on a specific cooker.
I thought it would be so awesome (for someone new to a cooker) to have a single place (forum) they could go and reference others cook times, temps, techniques for different meats organized by cooker model. I guess what I envision would be a "Cooker specific Technique Forum" where a topic would be, for example "FEC 120" and the topic posts would list the item prepared, cook times and temps, tweeks and anything done to get the required results for that meat item. I'm sure many of your techniques would be TOP SECRET, but I would think that a bunch of people would also be willing to share general approaches to cooking, for instance a boston butt, on a specifice cooker.
If this type forum were in place, it would be a valuable resource to folks like me looking to cut the learning curve on new equipment.
Thanks for all the great info on this forum, and thanks for any input on my idea!
markgable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Sounds like a good idea, but how do you limit it? A brisket cook on a WSM in Texas in the middle of summer is going to be quite different than in Michigan in Winter, or in a wetter / more humid climate. I think it goes back to the adage, it's done when it's done (or tender). I think the general consensus is with all things the same, a butt on any smoker in a particular temp range is going to take about X hours per pound.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
markgable
Found some matches.

I see your point. For instance, on my Southern Q 500 with no water in the pan, I can cook a butt in six hours flat at 300, and it turns out great so you would think that if you did that exact same cook on the FEC 120 that you would get similar results.....not at all so. So even though everyone cooks different, I would think a central place to find a bunch of different techniques arranged by cooker model, would give a guy like me a very central place to find a load of different techniques for that model, without having to search for and read through every post that has the search term "FEC 100" or "boston butt" in it.
markgable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 02:40 AM   #4
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Good points made y'all.
Just my 2 cents, though---
Perhaps some of us are not enjoying the cook.
Smoke and a hammock, man!
If you want timing, get out of the back-yard and get in the kitchen!

The Q's done when it's done.

Last edited by long haired hippie; 01-19-2019 at 02:46 AM..
long haired hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Kippiis
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Good idea but
Quote:
but how do you limit it?
Kippiis is offline   Reply With Quote