• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kroger Lump Charcoal... any good?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this lump? Saw it on sale... 8.8lbs for $5.26 + tax.

Last edited:
Never tried it, but for that price, you should give it a shot and report back to us...

Never tried their lump, but their briquettes burned very unevenly the one time I tried them in my grill. At that price though I'd give it a try.

My stock of charcoal bags waiting to be tested is steadily growing!:wink:

Currently have 2 big bags of Kingsford Competition, a bag of Stubbs briqs, now 2 bags of the Kroger lump (bought 2 since they only had 5 left...what if its good stuff?) and many bags of RO lump when I found out that Wal-Mart carried it - but I already know how RO burns from using it with my tandoor. Have not been able to Q for the past couple of weekends because of travelling, work etc :sad:

I think I may be going through Q withdrawal :icon_sleepy. Will definitely fire up the UDS this weekend though!

I have used it, Unfortunately I bought 8-9 bags in December thinking I'd stockpile at that price.

It burns Fast, and is very Ashy. Also smokes longer than I'd like. Bag contains alot of small and fines.

Try a bag or two for yourself, but I'd only recommend it for emergency purposes.

Mike D

A wise man once told me, use every brand of charcoal at least once. I never actually did that though, but I'm not that smart either.:biggrin:

I'm guessing your wife got over her "too much bbq lately" mood by now too.:biggrin:

Well, as luck would have it she underwent oral surgery yesterday for an abscess, and now can't eat anything solid for a week or so. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place - really want to Q, but don't want her to starve or just eat mashed potatoes while the rest of us are chowing down.

Solution? Smoke the ribs ---> run 'em through the blender = ribs mousse!:biggrin: yes, that is what I said. Will post the pron when its ready.

But I digress... I will probably return the Kroger lump if its reported to not be that great. There were no reports on Naked Whiz, but I knew the brethren would come through! Besides, i'm dying to know what my next bag of RO lump will yield... concrete? Maybe even some insulation? Yum!:eusa_clap

did some searching and it seems its made by royal oak so should be ok. others that used it said it was good.

did some searching and it seems its made by royal oak so should be ok. others that used it said it was good.

*sigh* ok... guess I should do the right thing and try it out, then report back to the brethren.

Thanks for the input!

I have tried and now use Kroger Lump pretty frequently.

I like it but my frame of reference is limited. I have used GFS, Cowboy, Frontier, and Royal Oak once (the RO I got had foreign matter in it and varied greatly in size and density). The Kroger I've had is of uniform size (large chunks of plank), burns better (longer than) cowboy, I've found no foreign matter in any of say 8 to 10 bags, and it seems to produce less ash than the GFS ( I'm cleaning the egg out after each bag).

Thing's to keep in mind... before the egg I burned sticks in a COS. These are my opinions based on non scientific observations. I live in the same city as Krogers headquarters so it maybe in better shape from less shipping and handling. No I don't work for Krogers. But for the price and in a pinch it's hard to beat.

[STRIKE]I just got a BGE so I'm going to give the Kroger brand a shot. All else* that's easily available to me locally is crap according the lump reviews at naked whiz.

*True Que, Cowboys, Western & Best of the West.

(trying to source some RO locally...)[/STRIKE]

Well strike all that; my local BGE dealer has Ozark.

Last edited:
[STRIKE]I just got a BGE so I'm going to give the Kroger brand a shot. All else* that's easily available to me locally is crap according the lump reviews at naked whiz.

*True Que, Cowboys, Western & Best of the West.

(trying to source some RO locally...)[/STRIKE]

Well strike all that; my local BGE dealer has Ozark.

What are they charging? Which dealer?

It's about $10/bag at BBQ Outfitters. If you can find it Hasty Bake lump is private labeled Ozark.

I usually pick up Royal Oak at WalMart for about $6.

Thanks, Thillin.

It's $12 a bag at Firehouse in Allen. Wanted to make sure to get the good stuff for my first couple of cooks. Word is he does a few discount sales for the American Legion; I'll check that out when/if it happens.

I'll hit Wally World to stock up on RO.

I used it once snapped and crackled like hedge apple.Haven't used it since because of that.

Back