• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Damn kids -> hog cook Friday

Shack Attack!

Bingo, we have a winner!!!

I must admit, I'm not a fan of most mustard sauces, and have only had one in the past that unfortunately came across a table when judging (so I have no idea to whom to ask for the recipe) that I really liked.

Anyway, this recipe is very close. It's very good, and I can tell it'll get a little better setting up a little while... We'll see how it goes with my Q.

This from Boshizzle a few months back:

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

Tending fire (offset; one can never go far)... Ohhhhhhh it's already starting "that smell". It's... intoxicating.

Needs 'bout 2 TBS cayenne...

The Crystal I'm using is a little hotter than a few others, but yeah, I'm thinking I may add 1tsp cayenne and let that sit a little to see where it takes it. I'm thinking it tastes great and has a nice black pepper bite, but doesn't have that little hint of a lingering burn...

2TBS? YEOW.

Oh yeah, I just hit it with 1 tsp cayenne, and it's about right. Not "lite ya up" hot, bit has a nice little bite to it.

Looking good - and I do believe you are lucky! Kids coming rules ... for me its my 2 bothers and their families. Used to be they'd come and eat and not clean up; now if they want BBQ they have to clean up :)

Last night it went from 7 or 8 people to now pushing 20... Friends heard and they're driving over in their boats... Impromptu party, apparently. :) 'tsall good.

I suppose there are worse reputations to have.

Runnin' 'er a little hot today, on purpose. Guerry, I normally run 250-270 and really dont sweat small temp changes. Today I'm in the 270-290 range. I'd like to get these done around 3:30. The shoulders will be probably around 2:30 to 3:00, but the hams will take a little longer.

Cool. I've decided on a pineapple juice, brown sugar, powdered mustard and vinegar mix with a touch of salt for the injection on my ham. Wish I could have a taste of yours though!

Last edited:
I actually think Crystal is less hot than most (Franks, etc.) I like it better, because I think it has a more complex flavor profile.

I actually think Crystal is less hot than most (Franks, etc.) I like it better, because I think it has a more complex flavor profile.

BAM! Exactamundo. Crystal is not hot, but it (And the original Louisiana Hot Sauce) has a distinct flavor dimension. Much preferred by me to Franks.

Looking great. THats an awful lot of extra food, you're just as bad as me! Cant wait to see more pictures

WHEW. Exhausted. I'll see if I cant get some pics out a little later, but probably tomorrow morning. Only 14 showed, but we had a great time... Friends left with 2 gallon bags of Q. I have 2 in the fridge, and 4 in the freezer... I really enjoyed cooking the hams, but they're just not as flavorful as the shoulders. Next time we'll probably just do shoulders (coming soon; our July 4th party but it's been moved to July 20th for a ton of stupid reasons).

G'nite y'all. Pics tomorrow.

Oh, you're probably right, perhaps not as hot, but a better flavor IMHO.

The Shack Attack was a hit with those of us who like NC style Q. Me, I like all types, and afraid that my waist line bares evidence...

Was right at 11am yesterday (4.5 hours into the cook), "the turn" I call it; foil time. A few quick pics, I dont like to delay in this step:

Shoulder; PLENTY of smoke on 'er. Time for foil:

These quick pics happened right at 6:30 and I had to "shoo" the kids away to get it. We were bringing out the coleslaw and calico beans and what-not. Sorry no pics of the different sauces. This (what hasn't been eaten so far) is about 10 gallon bags worth of Q. We ate approximately 2 bags worth last night, 4 in the freezer, 2 given away, 2 in the fridge:

Not happy.... <this little girl>

She wasn't the center of attention all day and puppy chow just wont do...

Back