MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #61
davefan360
Take a breath!

i like the cap on the chimney. did you make the spring handles or buy them? also on the angle iron for the rack, it looks like it sits below the edge of the door? if this is the case won't you have to then lift the rack before you slide it out? I just did some marking and measuring on my tank. I came up with 17.75in for the door? how big is your door? and are you doing 4 cook racks? 2 on the bottom and 2 on top? How hard is the door to open? and to keep open? or will you ad counter weights? I will post photos of my build but right now all I have is the tank and a trailer. I am taking photos as I do things but nothing to Internet worthy yet.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #62
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan360 View Post
i like the cap on the chimney. did you make the spring handles or buy them? also on the angle iron for the rack, it looks like it sits below the edge of the door? if this is the case won't you have to then lift the rack before you slide it out? I just did some marking and measuring on my tank. I came up with 17.75in for the door? how big is your door? and are you doing 4 cook racks? 2 on the bottom and 2 on top? How hard is the door to open? and to keep open? or will you ad counter weights? I will post photos of my build but right now all I have is the tank and a trailer. I am taking photos as I do things but nothing to Internet worthy yet.
Huntin Smoke bought the springs off of the internet. Angle iron is flush with the bottom of the door opening. Racks will slide out with no problems. We made the doors 24" from the top center. We are going to have 4 racks. The door is not that heavy to open. No counter weights needed. We will add some stops to the hinges so that the door stays open off center towards the back. If that lid slamed shut on your fingers, it would take them off.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #63
huntin smoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

I bought them at KCK.com The price was right and they ship quickly.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #64
davefan360
Take a breath!

thanks, I will start my thred this weekend.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #65
davefan360
Take a breath!

how come you removed the nice cerved mount w/ the flat bottom that was on the tank only to then cut a curve into the tube stock? why not just keep the mounts that were there move them if needed, then re-weld them back on and just use square tube for the legs?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #66
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
how come you removed the nice cerved mount w/ the flat bottom that was on the tank only to then cut a curve into the tube stock? why not just keep the mounts that were there move them if needed, then re-weld them back on and just use square tube for the legs?
Throughout the build we are always making choices on how we want to build it. Choices are based on having a unique look, functions easily, the tools that we have for the build and materials. We are making something out of nothing (I bet I heard my dad say that a thousand times when I was a kid). For us, it’s not how fast we can get it finished, it’s the build and having time to work on it together that makes it fun. We won’t be finished until sometime next year.

For us, the compressor feet were not something that we wanted to keep. The feet were not tall enough for what we needed. Instead of welding extensions onto the feet, we just made one piece legs that were the right length. Cleaner look and it helps it look less like an old compressor tank. The 4” tube was free material. Were trying to make it look as professional as we can with the skills we have and simple tools and materials that we have to work with.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #67
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy a good build almost as much as I enjoy good Q.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #68
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Throughout the build we are always making choices on how we want to build it. Choices are based on having a unique look, functions easily, the tools that we have for the build and materials. We are making something out of nothing (I bet I heard my dad say that a thousand times when I was a kid). For us, it’s not how fast we can get it finished, it’s the build and having time to work on it together that makes it fun. We won’t be finished until sometime next year.

For us, the compressor feet were not something that we wanted to keep. The feet were not tall enough for what we needed. Instead of welding extensions onto the feet, we just made one piece legs that were the right length. Cleaner look and it helps it look less like an old compressor tank. The 4” tube was free material. Were trying to make it look as professional as we can with the skills we have and simple tools and materials that we have to work with.
Mission accomplished.

Keep posting!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #69
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Looking Good
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #70
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Looks good sitting here..
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #71
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Updated 10-27-12

Added 2 drain valves to the food chamber. One at each end of the tank.

Welded in couplers for the thermometers

3" Thermometers

Eyebrows for the thermometers

Finished tracks for the upper row of grates

Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #72
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Are you planning on sloping the bottom at all to help move the drippings to the drain valves? Just a question. I am so jealous of the end product that I can see this being.
Curly
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #73
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Pork butts make a lot of grease. We can drain through either valve by adjusting the trailer jack. Makes it easy to clean out too.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #74
huntin smoke
On the road to being a farker

I really like the way the eyebrows over the thermos turned out. I don't think we will get the chance to work on it much in the next couple of weeks. Deer season is calling my name.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #75
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

That is gonna be one really nice rig when it is finished. I salute you gentlemen.
cheapbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
120 gallon smoker, Offset smoker build