Modding a 22.5" Weber Lid to fit my 23.5" UDS?

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, I was given an old 22.5" Weber and was all excited to finally have a domed lid for the UDS...only to discover that it's too small. Is it possible/easy to mod a Weber lid to fit? If so, is it possible without welding?

Oh, and one more thing while we're on the topic. My UDS lid leaks a bit out of the sides. Any way to fix that?

If the drum is out of round, you can lay it on its side and try to find the off sides and with some pressure get it back to round.

As for the lid, there are all sorts of methods. One is the flange method, but this requires you to sacrifice the bottom bowl of the kettle. I had to pound the edge of the kettle flat and then weld it onto the lip edge of the old drum lid. Another method is to make it so the lid slides or fits inside the rim of the drum vs over and around the outside, the way it fits on the kettle bottom.

I'll try to find some links for you.

Bob

misterachel I modded my Kingsford 22.5 Dome to fit my 55 Gsllon Drum by bendung the outer lips of the dome with Linemen Pliers and then Hammering the lips flat on a hard surface... It takes tim my man but it will work... I also went online and got the Big Green Egg Felt Gaskets and I lined both the Dome lip and the outer edges of my Drum with it after I sanded the porcelain paint away...Now I have a fit that is as Tight as Latex Gloves LOL!!!

Take a rubber mallet to the rim of the kettle lid. Use flat refrigerator magnets to stop your leaks.

Swamprb was the first to use the flange method I believe. I don't know if the pics still show up on the thread as they are blocked on my end. Here's the link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34332&highlight=flange

If your drum has a removable/banded lid, there's this route. Does require welding, time, and many beers. Don't ask how I know. Both work very well but you may run into some snags due to the drum design etc. Just a matter of working around it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77856

By 'sides' do you mean the intakes or the sides of rim where it contacts the lid?

I simply bent the flange of the lid out with a pair of channel locks which is really pretty easy then centered it on the drum and with a rubber mallet tapped the flange back around the drum. It really made a nice fit and was pretty easy. The only down side was that when I bent it the paint on the lid cracked but I was going to re-paint anyway.

I've done it both ways described above. The kettle flange method is by far the better of the two, but if there is no sacrificial kettle to be found then by all means pound the rim of your kettle top flat, wearing eye protection of course, then use a 3lb.sledge hammer to form the top to the rim of the drum. Much faster than using a rubber hammer and the top won't slide around as much during the process either. Have fun.

This isn't the best picture but its one I have uploaded currently. You can see how the lip of the lid is formed around the drum lip. You can even sort of see the line where the porcelain chipped away during the process.

On another note, I have a second lid I got from a grill at Lowe's. It's lip is smaller and left no room to form it around my second drum. So basically I just pounded it flat and it sits flat on the drum lip. Since I have hinges it sits in the same place every time basically and although there are gaps I rarely see very much smoke escaping.

UDShinge.jpg

Let me know if you need more help. Probably somebody in your area that could lend some assistance :thumb:

Don't sweat the small stuff if it leaks a little, just adjust the intake to compensate.
Dave

Back