MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Just remember
"no report"

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Just remember
"no report"
You saying:

No Report-No Vote???

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Well if a BoD member is not doing anything to report
Why should they be on the board?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

4 positions to fill, three incumbents. Who isn't seeking re-election?

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Roo(BQ'n) View Post
4 positions to fill, three incumbents. Who isn't seeking re-election?
Steve Ownby chose not to seek re-election. He lost his father within the last year and has taken over many new family and business obligations.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
dont take this wrong Jeff but how are you going to chang things that the old gard does not want changed? i think that is what made rod quit but i dont know that for shure.
First off, if you want the old guard changed, vote for new blood. True, I can't change things by myself but is that a reason to vote for the same ol' same ol' that you don't like? It's a start, if nothing else. Elect me and I will do everything I can to support the issues you want supported until voting members can get more "reinforcements" the following year and the next. I'm not going to call any board member out for not doing a good job. I'll speak in general but I'm not pointing fingers. That's not in the spirit of what we need to do as an organization! My campaign for the last two and a half months has been to help bring harmony, respect and cooperation to the board. It's the only way we can accomplish what needs to be done for the future of the KCBS. I would tell ANY board member to be a part of the solution or step aside. For the last five years, I have been a part of a Parks Board here, the last year serving as president. I cannot recall a dissenting vote in ANY issue that's come up... everything is unanimous. Yes, there are disagreements sometimes on how to proceed but in the end, for the good of our community, we always come together. I want that to be an example for the KCBS. We need to get on the same page, stop the bickering and run this organization like YOU deserve it to be run!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Well if a BoD member is not doing anything to report
Why should they be on the board?
Exactly my thoughts Thom. Jeff, do you have a decisive plan of action for yourself make sure BOD meetings are open for all members?

Not trying to stir the pot here, but in situations like the parsley ban, how will you encourage the KCBS to help out organizers? I understand the BOD can't foresee an ECOLI outbreak, but many organizers and competitors say it was ridiculously short on the notice.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #23
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Exactly my thoughts Thom. Jeff, do you have a decisive plan of action for yourself make sure BOD meetings are open for all members?

Not trying to stir the pot here, but in situations like the parsley ban, how will you encourage the KCBS to help out organizers? I understand the BOD can't foresee an ECOLI outbreak, but many organizers and competitors say it was ridiculously short on the notice.
I have been on the Board for four years. When elected the meetings were closed to the membership. Year I made a motion to kick open the door, it passed. That was the same year the was a motion to prevent BOD members from discussing bod business prior to meetings, publicly which failed. Year two for telephone access, voted down.
Year three for telephone access, voted down. Even tried to not have live meeting but pod cast, again defeated.
Year four for telephone access passed. (you should see who voted no, it may surprise you.)

There is a a lot of good discussion, but it is clear that many have not read the minutes and not aware of the actual votes. Go back and look and see how the people you talk about actually voted. I think it will help to make certain issues about budgets, visibility, and who actually is part of the future or the past will be clear.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
Plowboy

Quote:

I think you are referring to Parsleygate.

When folks start looking to vote out the old guard for the sake of change, let's not throw out the baby (or babies) with the bathwater. Linda and Mike will have my votes for re-election.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #25
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

BOD meetings are open to the public, at least the membership. I made this motion several months ago and passed. We have several members who have used this each month. You need to request to call in and fill out a form, you will be given a dial in number to call into the meeting.

As for the parsley that was the executive officers decision based on a special meeting. The entire board did not have any say in the matter.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:

The meetings are open to membership now. Could KCBS do more to make them more accessible to all members? Absolutely they could! But the current board has taken steps in the right direction. In today's world where technology can do darned near anything we hadn't even dreamed about ten years ago, there's little reason why if every member wanted to be able to listen in on meetings, they couldn't do so. Of course one limiting factor is cost. We can't break the bank to bring the meetings to everyone! But the board has made a start and should continue investigating every option available.

As for the parsley ban, I'm not sure how word could have been spread much earlier. I know it hit the Internet and spread like wildfire. KCBS must have a list of all organizers' emails and phone numbers. If it's just for one weekend, it shouldn't have been a big deal to make phone calls as soon as it was known. Then, it has to be on the organizers (which I am one myself) to contact their teams with the news. I think I always do a great job in keeping lines of communication open and as such, I would not have had a problem making 50 phone calls or dividing them up amongst our committee. That all being said, I believe the board members who had no say in determining the ban should not have been left out. No quorum, no official decision! Again, with the technology today, make it happen!
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #27
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I will certainly be voting for Barb Milroy!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #28
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
The meetings are open to membership now. Could KCBS do more to make them more accessible to all members? Absolutely they could! But the current board has taken steps in the right direction. In today's world where technology can do darned near anything we hadn't even dreamed about ten years ago, there's little reason why if every member wanted to be able to listen in on meetings, they couldn't do so. Of course one limiting factor is cost. We can't break the bank to bring the meetings to everyone! But the board has made a start and should continue investigating every option available.

As for the parsley ban, I'm not sure how word could have been spread much earlier. I know it hit the Internet and spread like wildfire. KCBS must have a list of all organizers' emails and phone numbers. If it's just for one weekend, it shouldn't have been a big deal to make phone calls as soon as it was known. Then, it has to be on the organizers (which I am one myself) to contact their teams with the news. I think I always do a great job in keeping lines of communication open and as such, I would not have had a problem making 50 phone calls or dividing them up amongst our committee. That all being said, I believe the board members who had no say in determining the ban should not have been left out. No quorum, no official decision! Again, with the technology today, make it happen!
We got calls from the KCBS office as well as posts on the BBQ boards from Merl and calls from the contest organizer. Communication was handled really well.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #29
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
We got calls from the KCBS office as well as posts on the BBQ boards from Merl and calls from the contest organizer. Communication was handled really well.
That's kinda what I figured based on the stir it quickly created. But it's like anything else... I'm sure some organizers did better than others, and some teams might not have been as available to be reached as others, hence the frustration on the part of some folks while others were satisfied. Hopefully in the future ALL are happy with the communication.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #30
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
There is a a lot of good discussion, but it is clear that many have not read the minutes and not aware of the actual votes. Go back and look and see how the people you talk about actually voted. I think it will help to make certain issues about budgets, visibility, and who actually is part of the future or the past will be clear.

Merl
I would love to do exactly that. Is there any place that the minutes are stored online? Very few of us hold on to old Bullsheets.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
KCBS election