• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rice, what's your favorite method

What do you think of Jasmine rice? I've tried it just once and the fragrance was, unique? Going to try it again for sure.

I make two rice recipes that I like. Rice Pilaf and Microwave Risotto.

-----

Rice Pilaf

4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup orzo, broken up vermicelli, or broken up angel hair pasta
1 cup Uncooked long-grain rice
2-1/2 cups Boiling hot chicken broth
Salt to taste

Melt butter in heavy bottom saucepan. Break pasta into small pieces (about 1/4 inch, if needed), add to pan and cook until golden brown, stirring constantly. Add rice and stir until rice is well coated with butter. Add boiling broth and season to taste with salt. Simmer, covered, over low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Stir lightly with fork. Let
stand in warm place 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

----------

Microwave Risotto

5-cups chicken broth
3/4-cup sherry or white wine
1/4-tsp salt
1/4-tsp ground white pepper
5 saffron threads

3-Tbs canola oil
3-Tbs olive oil
3/4-cup yellow onion, diced
1-1/2 cups medium grain rice, uncooked

-In a 3-qt saucepan, bring chicken broth, sherry, salt, white pepper and saffron to a low simmer until needed.

-In a 3-qt covered, microwaveable, casserole dish, microwave canola oil and olive oil, covered, for 2-minutes.
-Add onion, stir well and microwave, covered, for 4-minutes.
-Add rice, stir well until rice is coated with oil and microwave, covered, for 4-minutes.
-Add simmering chicken broth to rice mixture, stir well and microwave, covered, 7-minutes.
-Stir well, microwave, covered, 7-minutes more.
-Stir well, microwave, covered, for a final 7-minutes.

-Stir well and serve.

This recipe was created for a 1500-watt microwave. Yow will have to adjust cooking times for microwaves of different power.
If you use salted cooking sherry or salted cooking white wine, or a salty chicken broth, omit the 1/4-tsp salt from recipe.

For the recipe, I use water, chicken bullion, sherry and calrose medium rice.

I have switched to Lundberg Rice. They have some great varieties like the Black and Mahogany mix. I like to add some butter, salt, pepper and thyme to the water.

For a rice dish, Norco's moms rice is a current favorite.

dsc02429aL.jpg
No need to ask which is my favorite. Gonna be at the bash for sure.
Always great reheated the next day.

EZ spanish rice

1 white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic ( at least)
2 cups rice
3 nice jalapeno or 1 poblano, seeded and chopped
3 Roma Tomatoes seeded and chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro
3 cups water
1 cup Snappy Tom
1 Tbl butter

Allow butter to clarify a bit, add onion allow to carmelize a bit
Add Rice, allow rice to change color, OK to add olive oil as needed so rice dont burn
add Peppers, garlic and Tomatoes
Add Liquid, bring to a boil and Cover dont forget to reduce heat as low as it will

DO NOT TOUCH OR REMOVE LID FOR 20 MINUTES or your genitallia will fall off!
(one exception here would be to throw some seasoned fish fillet in for about the last 5 to 8 minutes, awesome for fish tacos)

Salt and Pepper as needed.

Last edited:
Rissotto..

supposed to use aborio(sp) rice..but i do it with any kind.. this is a quicky variation of traditional risotto, but more user friendly.

saute onion till clear
add butter,
add chiken broth
add saffron,
add rice, Start cooking rice, covered about 15 minutes..
Saute finely diced chicken in cook till cooked and starting to brown
add to rice the last 2 minutes of cooking..

when done, serve with about 50 lbs of romano cheese. :biggrin:

real rissotto, with aborio, means keep stirring till the starches start to break out.. stand there for 20 minutes stirring and talking nice to it. thats way to much dedication for me. :cool:

Here's a rice recipe that uses leftover smoked chicken (if you ever have any :wink:)

Smoked Chicken Paella

INGREDIENTS

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound of smoked, de-boned, skinned, diced chicken thighs
1/2 cup sliced bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

2 cups (or a 14-oz can) peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup white wine
6 saffron threads

2 cups cooked white medium grain rice

DIRECTIONS

1. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and saute the
chicken, sliced bell pepper, sliced red onion, and minced garlic in olive oil
for about 5 minutes or until onions and bell peppers are slightly limp.

2. Pour in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, granulated sugar, onion powder, black pepper, salt, wine and saffron; bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Simmer for 15-minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.

3. Stir in 2 cups of the cooked rice and reduce heat to low. Stir well to mix. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve hot with a little olive oil drizzled over the top.

Wife makes a quick chicken and rice dish using a box of Uncle Ben's Original with can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of water. Mix all of that in a caserole and place chicken breasts on top. Cook for an hour at 350 degrees.

Now, the wife likes to overcook everything. The skinless breasts don't hold up well. They are DRY. If I were to do it, I'd use de-boned thighs that have been browned in a fry pan first.

Other than the dry chicken, its a really great, quick dish. Well, more easy than quick.

I Like jambalaya , shrimp and andoullie, or even chicken and sausage....I like dirty rice alot and make it as a side often with BBQ ...My all time favorite is just good ole roast and rice and gravy ...something I ate nearly every day of my life gorwing up in South East Texas......Coon Ass Mod!!:mrgreen:
Another one of my BIG fav's is this recipie I posted in the recipie section for Rice Balls....MMmmmMMMmmmm!!!! Give ot a try!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=1168229527

Wife makes a quick chicken and rice dish using a box of Uncle Ben's Original with can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of water. Mix all of that in a caserole and place chicken breasts on top. Cook for an hour at 350 degrees.

Now, the wife likes to overcook everything. The skinless breasts don't hold up well. They are DRY. If I were to do it, I'd use de-boned thighs that have been browned in a fry pan first.

Other than the dry chicken, its a really great, quick dish. Well, more easy than quick.

That is one of my favorite one dish meals. Need to leave the skins on though and use milk in place of that water.

I made another version once that was good. I put porkchops on it and rather than the cream of chicken/mushroom I used a can of tomato soup.

Saffron rice is must when I have saffron in the house. I happen to have some right now that I picked up during the winter on a cruise. I think that is what will be eaten later today.

Zatarains dirty rice is pretty darned good stuff as well. Just follow the directions on the box. I'm thinking that some fall apart brisket would go good in there rather than the burger.

Last edited:
Bigmista's yellow rice

Do we really want to know why it's called "Yellow Rice"

When we were growing up we did the campbell's mushroom soup but that was because a 9 year old could make it.

Now - I rather have it plain and add my own stuff on top.

it's part of the whole Chinese thing - got used to eating rice everyday plain for almost 10 years and it just stuck.

Zatarains dirty rice is pretty darned good stuff as well. Just follow the directions on the box. I'm thinking that some fall apart brisket would go good in there rather than the burger.

Make dirty rice with crumbled fatty. Yum!

you know i eat rice for all most every meal if not rice its poi .and the only way i can think of making it is plain cooked white rice and fried rice. thanks for all the new ways to make rice.. i'm going to try some of these out sounds good...

I really like this organic wild rice blend that I get in the bulk food section of the health market at my local Hy-Vee (grocery store). It's actually a blend of five different kinds of non-processed rice including Minnesota wild rice, sushi rice, long grain white rice, basmati and . . . and . . . I can't remember the fifth one right off the bat. It's very colorful.

I bring to a boil twice as much water as the amount of rice I'm cooking. This is usually 1.5 cups water for .75 cup of rice.

While I'm waiting for the water to boil, I chop up a couple carrots and some broccoli. I set aside the florets for later. Once the water is boiling I dump in the wild rice blend and bring the temperature down to simmer range. I put the carrots and broccoli on top of the rice and let it all simmer, covered, for 50 minutes while I go back to work at my desk.

At 50 minutes, I open the lid and add the florets to the top of the mostly finished rice and cook it, still covered, for ten more minutes so those florets can get steamed. They turn just a beautiful shade of dark green!

Once that's done I transfer it all to a bowl where I add some Eden Soy Shoyu Sauce (I think shoyu soy sauce is heaven on earth!) some Zatarain's Creole seasoning, some course ground black pepper and a bit of ginger if I'm feeling adventurous. (Side note: I do drink A LOT of water each day to flush out all that sodium.)

Modifications include adding a can of soup instead of the veggies - cream of mushroom tastes great with this - and of course crumbled up fatties, chopped smoked sausages, etc.

I eat this almost every day at work for lunch - but I've been bad lately. Eating a lot of fast food crud . . . need to get back on the healthy food wagon.

But that's how I enjoy cooking rice, for what it's worth.

( Man, that is one UGLY dog, Hiloboy! :) )

Back