• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seasoning applewood question

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I got ahold of some fresh cut applewood. I think the tree is Macintosh apples. Not that it makes a difference but the apples were good. So now I have alot of green wood. I plan to split it and air stack it and give it some sort of cover. May stick it in the garage. How long to let it dry untill I can use it? Did some research and came up empty handed.
Total coat for the wood $30. Guy just wanted help w/the stray branches. How could I resist.
Michael

Attachments

• 100_1434.jpg
    100_1434.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_1433.jpg
    100_1433.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I usually go about six months and start using. If you cut some of the thicker pieces into saucers they'll usually dry a little faster.

The other way to tell is take two chunks right now while it's green and bang them together. The wood will make a bid of a thudding sound. In a few months when you bang them together they make a distinct knocking sound, a bit like the dry wood blocks we had as kids.

So I got ahold of some fresh cut applewood. I think the tree is Macintosh apples. Not that it makes a difference but the apples were good. So now I have alot of green wood. I plan to split it and air stack it and give it some sort of cover. May stick it in the garage. How long to let it dry untill I can use it? Did some research and came up empty handed.
Total coat for the wood $30. Guy just wanted help w/the stray branches. How could I resist.
Michael
A "Rule Of Thumb" that I've used with very good results is to wait until you see a radial crack in the end of the wood. That way if you live in a very humid location or a very arid location, you can still get good results.

Apple wood is great for smoking . . . but the more you can remove the bark, the better the flavor you'll get.

In any case, that's what has worked for me. Hope this helps!

I am probably wrong as i am not yet a "full fledged farker" but haven't i read somewhere where it is ok to use fruit wood even if it is green?

Green wood can be used on smokers as long as it is from fruit. I own a tree pruning company and use a lot of pear, peach and plum wood as soon as I cut the wood.

I've allways been told that you get more flavor from green fruit wood.
My experience with it would concour.

I have used it the same day i cut and split it, i split it to the dia. of a beer can, works fine, have only done that with apple and cherry trees.

I would not rely on the fresh cut wood to give off much heat if you are using a woodburner.

Like folks said earlier......Split the bigger pieces in half. I always season the wood I use minimum 6 months befoer it ever goes into my Klose offset.

Back