MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label
Default Baseball Tournament Torture

My 11yr old is in a baseball tournament this weekend about 35 miles from our house. Had to be there today from 1pm-8pm. Left the house before noon and just walked in the door. Games tomorrow again. Have to be there at 2.

Moral of that story is I can't smoke this weekend. Killing me. To make the torture worse...I walk around the corner this afternoon and there are a group of guys running a big grill and a smoker. Brats, burgers, marinated chicken and pork skewers on the big grill and running butts on the old homemade smoker.

Our dugout was right by where they were smoking...so of course I had to walk over and check them out. Grill was a rental from a local butcher who also supplied the meat.

The smoker was made by the grandfather of one of the guys there. Old charcoal rig with cabinet doors and a couple shelves. Running TBS all day.

The smell was killing me. Had a chicken skewer...will be going back tomorrow for the pulled pork. Wish I was running the smoker with them instead of coaching.

Oh well maybe Monday.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

When I ran my basketball tournaments you played 3 games with an hour break between all on Saturday and you went home with your trophy. Everyone loved it. After years of playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday I wasn't going to torture teams, kids and families like we had been tortured. Hope you make it thru.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Yeah this is a brutal schedule. Random seeding on Saturday. Some teams play morning some afternoon some both. 2 games to determine seeding. Had a game scheduled at 2 that started 45 min late. We got there at 1 to warm up.

Break in the middle...too far to go home. Whole team and parents invade some local pizza place for an hour and a half and try to cool off. 92 today...warmer tomorrow. Second game starts late too....650. Play till 830.

We go 1-1 and end up in the top half and play single elimination starting at 3. Lucky we get to sleep late and if we win two games we win the tourney. I was hoping we would be in the bottom half so I could be home by noon and smoke some ribs.

Such is life.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

It's hard but the kids love to play so as parents we make it happen. I remember once I asked for no Friday games because we had a 2 hour drive...we had 4-6 hour breaks between every game Saturday and Sunday. I learned to not ask again. Another time we played the game that put us in the championship game and since they were running so far behind our 2 hour scheduled break was 0 minutes. The team we were playing had a 3 hour rest. I threw a big asshat fit just to get 30 minutes of rest. The other coach threw just as big a fit about how it wasn't her fault that they were running late. I was ready to walk but the kids insisted on playing. Somehow I miss it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #5
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Yep. Been told by many people I will miss it when it's over.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
bryonlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep it sucks, but trust me, its totally worth it. I'm 63, kids are long gone, with lives and families of there own. They grow up to fast, I realize that now
bryonlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
mschwirian
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

My daughter played softball all over the Southeast, same kind of schedule.
Trust me, you're going to miss it when you're done. I'd love to go to one more and watch her play.