Calling all Beef Rib cooks

SimcoBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got a 4 bone 5# rack of short ribs / haven't cooked beef ribs in years. Give me your go to!!!!
rub / time /temp
What's your process fellow Bretheren?

If there is excess fat >1/4" I trim, slather with yellow mustard, apply SPOG or favorite rub, then place on offset. I usually run 275ish +/- 25 degrees. Takes anywhere from 5 to 6 hours, I pull when the ribs prob tender all the way through between the bones. I do not wrap during the cook. Once I pull off cooker I wrap in foil and place in a cooler with plenty of towels. Usually hold a minimum of an hour this helps disperse the rendered fat. The ribs always come out tender, moist and delicious.
IMG_20170606_181429804_HDR.jpg

Remove the membrane. Slather with Worcestershire. Rub with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper and a little of Sucklebuster's Texas Brisket rub. Smoke at 275 with post oak about 5 hours and start probing with a bamboo skewer between the bones. When the probe slides through like soft butter remove from the cooker. Tent with foil for 30 minutes to an hour. Chow down.

Any tips on membrane removal? I could never pull it off the way I do pork ribs so ended up slashing it all the time

PM Silverfinger - He is the dino bone king!

I use a porcini mushroom rub and cook at about 275° until probe tender.

Don't even check for tender until the meat pulls back from the bones.

Just did a couple the day before yesterday. They left me a bit frustrated this time. Used the offset, cooked at 275-300. One took about 7.5 hours, and one took about an hour longer. Both good, but did knock me off my feet as usual. They were a bit dryer than usual. Rubbed with SPG and a bit of adobo.

Not sure what is up with my longer cook times. Recently had a brisket cook that took longer than usual. Maybe Ill start to experimenting with wrapping.

Edit: also spritzed hourly with straight apple cider vinegar. Maybe that was too much door opening and closing?

Pron:

Last edited:
I try to cook the at 250-275.When they probe tender,I let them ride another 30-60 minutes.I think it helps redender some extra fat.There is a
difference in juicy and tender and greasey.Usually takes about 6 hours

Any tips on membrane removal? I could never pull it off the way I do pork ribs so ended up slashing it all the time
I use catfish skinning pliers. Works like a charm. They are about $3-$4 from Wally.

Got them soaking in Gueniss and Worcestershire for about 6 hrs. Gonna hit em with S&Pnd maybe some Rendevous and them cookem like ya'll have said.
As always , thanks Bretheren!

The last time I bought shorties they had separated the rack into 4 bones. I cut them off the bone before plating, cut length wise in half, then into bite size pieces. Every piece had some bark like a short rib burnt end. They were a snack while a prime packer was finishing. They didn't last long with the crowd I had.

Last edited:

I don't bother pulling the membrane, two reasons:
1) the membrane helps hold them together cause they get fall apart tender.
2) by the time they probe like butter the membrane is tender and easy to peel off if you don't want it, personally I end up eating it.

Damn, I have to find out how to get beef ribs with meat on them

I usually cook them like brisket - good beef rub and cook till probe tender.
As for the membrane, I use pliers to get them off when I do pull it, but I usually cut the meat off the bone before serving and slice them into pieces. They are so rich I can rarely eat a whole rib.

Damn, I have to find out how to get beef ribs with meat on them

Here's what finally worked for me. I always see the flanken cut short ribs or the English cut. If you go to a place that cuts their own meat and sells these, they are receiving them in a cryo pack typically with two plates per pack and cutting them from what they get in that cryo pack. Just tell them you want to buy that cryo pack.The only ribs I see for sale otherwise are the non-meaty back ribs.

(Aside: Everyone always says "find a butcher". I figured I needed to find a guy with a side of beef hanging in the back someplace. Short of buying a side from a farmer, no one, at least around here, gets meat that way. They are all cutting up boxed meat from suppliers. It may be different for you Texas/midwest guys)

I get beef ribs here that are cut differently.
They cut through the bones.
Don't really think it makes a lot of difference in the way they cook, except that they are thinner and it will go a bit faster.

I marinate them in soy, garlic and chili and then cook them.
Love these things!
I did try a number of different rubs/marinates some time ago, and that one came out as my favourite.

Back