St Louis Trip - What to see?

tb80

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am heading to ST Louis for a weekend trip in a few weeks. I have never been there. Any suggestions...especially bbq related suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude. Do you like German food? Also G&W Sausage is there. PM me if you want more info. Lot's of options. My Daughter lives there and they have shown be many cool places.

St Louis BBQ Store , Arch and the mall down the street that has the train setting in front of it but can not remember the name at the moment .

If your taking kids, their zoo is fantastic and when was stationed at Scott AFB just across the line in IL, the zoo was free but do not know about now. Also the Purina Farm is not far from their and is great for kids also. Oh can't forget the Clydesdales.

Even if you don't have kids the STL zoo is consistently rated one of the best in the country, and as mentioned its free. Its in forest park near a great science center too. Forest Park also has a really great art museum.

If you do have kids the City Museum is a great place. Don't let the name fool you, its a big playground. laumeier sculpture is an interesting place and not too far out. Grant's Farm is worth considering. The Delmar loop is a fun place to walk and look around and grab a snack. You might be here just in time to grab a drink at Cicero's before they close down.

There's some great bbq here. The usual stuff we talk about ("mine's better...") does apply. Big names are Sugar Fire, Pappy's, and Bogart's. A short drive from downtown across the river in Belleville, IL is Beast BBQ and their reputation is stellar. IL also used to have one of Mike Mill's 17th Street restaurants but it is now closed.

Less traditional joints with great BBQ and a great reputation would be Salt & Smoke, Shaved Duck, and Iron Barley.

Outside of BBQ, Crown Candy Kitchen's BLT is legendary. O'Connell's burgers are a favorite. The Scottish Arms is great if you love scotch. Be sure to order some toasted ravioli somewhere and take a gooey butter cake home with you. Ted Drewes is famous for their frozen custard. If you like baseball, consider taking in a Cards game, STL loves their baseball.

Haven't been there in a while, but "The Hill" is a very cool historic Italian neighborhood, complete with store fronts hanging Hams and Sausages. The Soulard Farmer's market originally opened in 1779 and is over by the brewery. Fun to see local produce and meats. Last but not least, they have some decent Wineries about an hour north in Herman which is an old German village, very, very scenic complete with beer halls in town.

For more scenery, the entire area around Forest Park is beautiful. Lots of mansions built for the worlds fair around the turn of the century. Really nice neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. by Washington University.

If you order a Pork Butt sandwich in any of the locals joints, be prepared to receive a bone-in slice of pork butt braised in BBQ sauce and served between two slices of white bread.

If you order Pizza and it tastes like White Velveeta, yes it's supposed to taste that way. The have their own cheese (Provel) which replaces mozzarella in this town!

Toasted Ravioli (Breaded and Deep Fried) is another local favorite.

Enjoy!

Great stuff above guys. Thanks. I'm not sure where I am staying. My wife booked the trip. It is for a wedding. No kids but I will have some free time during the day to hand out while my wife does wedding stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meet up with a couple Brethren. Had a great time doing that. Want to do more next time I'm there..
The Missouri Botanical gardens was a pretty interesting place.
If you want to see SAFB, let me know. My BIL (CMS)retired from there but still works there as a civilian. He loves giving tours.

Schlafly and Urban Chestnut are good local microbreweries. Let us know what area you are staying and we can give you more thoughts.

Oooh, good call. I also really enjoyed Perennial Brewery. I haven't been to Urban Chestnut, but I've been a fan of all of their brews so far.

The rooster, is a good place that we hit for breakfast every time we are in town. Crepes of all kinds, omletes, good coffee and a bacon bloody-mary I think (my sis in law likes it a lot)? Pappies and bogarts for BBQ. If you want non BBQ, The Kitchen Sink, is a good cajun good place. Broadway oyster bar is good seafood and live music, Sauce on the Side has all kinds of calzones and a chill atmosphere. Southern, is a place rated well I havent been to yet that has a small menu of Fried chicken and fish and 4 different spice levels to order it at along with multiple southern side dishes

I like sugar fire the best for bbq, multiple locations. Pappys is good too.

The food on "The Hill" is fantastic, original Italian.
Go by Ted Drews for a frozen treat called a concrete. Mighty fine souped up DQ Blizzard

Definitely hit the Zoo, the Arche, go down to the Waterfront and enjoy a restraurant, if you have kids then hit the spigetti factory.

St. Louis is a great city!

Back