Made some Nürnberger Bratwürste (pr0n)

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Made ~19lbs/9kg of those little buggers yesterday. Linked them this morning and vac-sealed for freezing. Holy mother of God, sheep casings are an incredible pain in the butt. I'm pretty sure my struggle with them added about 3 hours to the process. :shock:

At any rate, they turned out GREAT. Used a recipe I found on another forum, and scaled it to my batch size.

Pork 1000 g
Salt 18g 1.80%
White Pepper 2g 0.20%
Mace 0.5g 0.05%
Nutmeg 0.5g 0.05%
Marjoram 1.25g 0.13%
Water 3.00%

Briefly grind spice in a mortar and pestle to release the oils.
Grind the meat through a 4.5mm or 6mm plate and then add all the spices and salt and mix well before grinding a second time. Mix until sticky. Stuff into sheep's casings and grill over beechwood.

I didn't do the second grinding, and grilled on my pellet grill with a maple/hickory/cherry blend. I really like these, except for the freakin' sheep casings! It's like trying to open a string. I may have to buy a hank of tubed casings because that was ridiculous.

Ok, on to the pics.

Conditioning
6V1icEih.jpg

Ready to be linked
24J4s4Jh.jpg

On the grill
VpmGUFCh.jpg

I think these got cooked a bit hot on the grill. Set it for 350° and blew past the target cook temp with not much browning. I'll have to do these on charcoal next time for best results.
gBtHkqdh.jpg

Get in my belly!
X9gpS9nh.jpg

450+ links :shock:
K2Fytgih.jpg

So yep, I'd do these again...but only with tubed casings!

Last edited:
Yea, a lot of work. Biggest problem was dealing with opening the tiny sheep casings, and to stuff almost 20# of sausage, you need a shedload of casings. So you gotta soak 'em, open every one and flush it, then open every one and stick it on the stuffing horn. Finding the opening was just this side of impossible, took me several minutes per each casing. Definitely will be going tubed casings if I want to go with natural casings again, or might give the fresh collagen casings a shot. Unprepared natural casings were the biggest consumer of time.

For those who don't know about Nürnberger Bratwürste, here's a link:

https://www.bavaria.by/german-sausages-original-nuremberg-rostbratwurst -

Great job....they look perfect. Those are my favorite bratwurst!!

Your links look and sound great, sorry if the temps got away from you a bit. I'd still kill a stack of 'em!

I'm gonna do some Weisswurst soon, but won't be dinking around with the sheep casings for the reasons you mentioned, plus cost.

It has to "Beg the Question"? Are the as good as you Killer Homemade German Sausage with a Polish technique?? If so. I"m in for making a batch.:-D

Oh yeah, what time can I pick up a bag?

With all the time that went into these suckers, I'm not sure if anyone could afford a bag! :grin:

Your links look and sound great, sorry if the temps got away from you a bit. I'd still kill a stack of 'em!

I'm gonna do some Weisswurst soon, but won't be dinking around with the sheep casings for the reasons you mentioned, plus cost.

Well, temp really didn't get away from me; I do standard sized brats at 350°, one side for 10 mins, flip, other side for 10 mins and they're perfect. These are half the size, so at that temp, they were completely cooked through (and bursting casings :icon_blush: ) in 15 mins. Just were starting to get brown. Charcoal grill will work better next time I think.

Weisswurst are generally done in hog casings, so you're lucky. If you do want to use sheep casing for smaller sausages, such as these and breakfast sausage, just get the tubed casings. Just rinse, slide on the horn, pull out the tube and you're ready to rock. $40 for 100 yards of casing if I remember correctly. Worth every penny IMHO.

It has to "Beg the Question"? Are the as good as you Killer Homemade German Sausage with a Polish technique?? If so. I"m in for making a batch.:-D

These are very good. You might even like these more. :shocked:

look pretty good from here, never tried sheep casing, maybe I wont either.

Well, I wouldn't let it scare you off if the style calls for it. Just get the tubed casings and all those problems go away. You can also use the fresh collagen casings, which is what I'm likely to try next time.

Back