Injecting wagyu briskets

arb023

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you inject wagyu briskets for comps? I'll be cooking my first wagyu at my next comp. - normally cook choice from Sam's and do inject. Concerned that it might be too overpowering, but obviously want that one bite to be awesome. Thanks for any input.

I have cooked both many times.

I recommend you cook it just like you are used to.
That way, you will have a "baseline" to adjust from in the future if you desire.
I try to avoid to many variables or changes at one time.

TIM

I thought the point of buying Wagyus so you wouldn't have to inject?

Just wondering how many of you inject wagyu briskets for comps? I'll be cooking my first wagyu at my next comp. - normally cook choice from Sam's and do inject. Concerned that it might be too overpowering, but obviously want that one bite to be awesome. Thanks for any input.

Cooking wagyu for the first time at a comp seems like you are taking a big chance IMO. Obviously the price difference doesn't allow for many practice cooks, but wagyu cooks differently than CAB or other grade briskets. If you are an experienced comp cook then you should be okay with some babysitting and keeping a close eye on it. If you are relatively inexperienced you may be in for some suprises.

As far as injecting, I do. I have a certain flavor profile for beef that I am looking for that an uninjected brisket just can't deliver whether it is wagyu or not. I did have to adjust my injection recipe when I switched to wagyu though.

Agreed with others - Wagyu is different but not so much that doesn't benefit from injection. Start with what you know and adjust from there.

Good luck!

Plastered Pig BBQ
DPQ BBQ

Thanks guys. I probably should have explained that a good buddy that knows I do comps. gave me a wagyu as a thank you for helping him out with a business deal. A very nice 'thank you' indeed. I still plan to cook a CAB and use my normal injection, so I figured I'd cook the wagyu at the comp as well and if isn't fit to turn in, it will still be good eating, but if it does turn out, all the better. I've read that they can faster, but thanks for the heads up.

unless you buy flats, sam's briskets are select

Back