Red Beans & Rice

R

Roo-B-Q'N

If you brothers and sisters have not tried Bigmista's Red Beans & Rice recipe you are missing out on an awesome dish! Here is the thread I found it in http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20098&highlight=red+beans+rice.

Had smoked off some suasage awhile ago and cooked for a group this weekend. This recipe is easy to make and it was so good, I am making it again this week for us. And once again I didn't take pics . . . what is up with me!

Thanks Neil!

Yummy sounds really good,gonna have to try this one... maybe I'll make it and take pics :biggrin:lol

Copied and pasted!!! Thanks Roo and BigMista:wink:

Glad it worked out for you! Did you find that changing the water reduced the amount of...ahem...methane produced?

Hey Neil, I just read your reciepe and want to make it.

I only have 1 question.

You say "Scoop out 1/ cup of beans and mash into a mush"

Is that 1 (one) cup or some fraction of a cup i.e. 1/2, 1/4 etc.?

I know it's just a typo but I want to get it right.

Fatty sounds really good in this.

Wonder how butt would be?

Hey Neil, I just read your reciepe and want to make it.

I only have 1 question.

You say "Scoop out 1/ cup of beans and mash into a mush"

Is that 1 (one) cup or some fraction of a cup i.e. 1/2, 1/4 etc.?

I know it's just a typo but I want to get it right.

Fatty sounds really good in this.

Wonder how butt would be?

It is half a cup and butt works well in these beans too.

Glad it worked out for you! Did you find that changing the water reduced the amount of...ahem...methane produced?

Yes, but I do that anytime I make beans. Helps keep my little corner of the world a better place.

It is half a cup and butt works well in these beans too.

Butt and beans go well together ALL the time. See above. :rolleyes:

Yes, but I do that anytime I make beans. Helps keep my little corner of the world a better place.

Butt and beans go well together ALL the time. See above. :rolleyes:

Beans and Butt, what a musical combo!!:cool::wink::lol:

Red Beans and Rice

1 1/2 lb. smoked sausage; bulk
1 lb.dry red kidney beans
1 large onion (chopped)
6 cups water
1 tbsp. oil
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp.chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 lb. smoked ham, cubed, shredded or chopped

Soak beans overnight. Drain. In a large stewing kettle put oil and soften
the onion about 1 to 2 minutes. Pour water into the kettle, then beans and all ingredients except sausage. Cook over low flame for 1 hour ( keep kettle covered but allow a little steam to escape), or until beans begin to get soft. Remove 3 or 4 tablespoons of beans and mash, then return them to the pot and stir. Continue cooking until bean gravy becomes milky and thickened. Cut up sausage into bite size pieces and add to beans. Continue to cook, covered for 30 minutes. DO NOT fry or boil sausage before putting them in the beans. Left over ham or ham hocks may be substituted for sausage, but must be cooked along with the beans from the start. If this is not hot enough for you then add enough pepper to suit your taste. Serve over rice. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf.

Note: We pressure cook the red beans 45 minutes using the 6 cups of water. Fry the bulk sausage and drain grease. Return to pan and add onion; saute until onion is opaque or tender. Add beans, bean water and all other ingredients and simmer for a while. We like to eat it the next day; it allows the flavors to marry better. We also use three teaspoons of creole seasoning rather than the salt, cayenne and black pepper.

Original recipe called for regular long sausage cut into edible size pieces.

Red beans and rice has fed my family for generations. Its pretty much a staple around our house especially this time of year. Mista has a pretty good recipe there, even if he is from Texas...

Noah, we are both transplants. You went one way and I went the other. However, even though I was raised in Texas, a big part of my family is from Louisiana. Father's side from Monroe and Mother's side from Baton Rouge. I get the best of all worlds!! :lol:

Red beans and rice has fed my family for generations. Its pretty much a staple around our house especially this time of year. Mista has a pretty good recipe there, even if he is from Texas...

Noah, we are both transplants. You went one way and I went the other. However, even though I was raised in Texas, a big part of my family is from Louisiana. Father's side from Monroe and Mother's side from Baton Rouge. I get the best of all worlds!! :lol:

Yeah, and I made Noah's Jambalaya tonight and it was good. So there.

Thanks bro's. I love good eats, and like cooking them even more.

Back