MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I love watching America's Test Kitchen. They give you a chemistry lesson with every recipe. Lately, I have been cooking chicken beer can style on the WSM around 275 for roughly 3 hours or until the thigh hits 175 - 180. Comes out tender, smoky and juicy but the skin is still pretty rubbery.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I know that it is a huge pain in the arse, but I always remove the skin, scrape the fat, and replace. Takes a lot of time and patience and makes a heck of a mess that grosses my wife out, but it seems to do the trick in getting that bite through skin. At least in my experience, anyway.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

rather than scrape skin, it's a lot easier to crank up the heat so the fat under the skin renders better and crisps up nicely.

That's why so many people do poultry at 325-350

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
rather than scrape skin, it's a lot easier to crank up the heat so the fat under the skin renders better and crisps up nicely.

That's why so many people do poultry at 325-350
True. I understand that, totally. But I only have one smoker, and when I have ribs or a butt going at 230-250, I can't very well crank up the heat for the chicken. Someday, when I have a bigger smoker storage unit (aka garage) I'll be able to work that out. I love America's Test Kitchen, too - one of my go to places for recipes and equipment. And bow tie recommendations.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Note that the study is all about braising, not about BBQ at all, the conditions of the cook are totally different. I happen to think the optimum temperature is lower, but, admit that cooking a chicken for 3 hours is not for everyone. But, that cooking is in a braise.

Cooking in the dry and convective environment of a smoker will yield very different results. Although, it does make the good point that it might be possible to get tender chicken and skin at lower cook temperatures, and higher internal temperatures, especially as so many of the people cooking use butter baths.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
True. I understand that, totally. But I only have one smoker, and when I have ribs or a butt going at 230-250, I can't very well crank up the heat for the chicken. Someday, when I have a bigger smoker storage unit (aka garage) I'll be able to work that out. I love America's Test Kitchen, too - one of my go to places for recipes and equipment. And bow tie recommendations.
Ribs and butts will turn out fine cooking at 325. I don't see the issue.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote