MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Charcoal pan mods to an ECB

Awesome forum. I'm new to smoking but have already started making the suggested mods to an ECB. Having done the research and seen the different ways to mod the charcoal pan and ash catcher, I've gone ahead and bought a Weber Smokey Joe Gold, as opposed to using Randy's approach with the stainless steel rods.

I'd like to essentially replicate Alien's method here:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2317

However, I can't find anything to use for the clips to enable the charcoal pan to sit on top of the ash catcher, but with enough space in between to promote good air flow (after I drill the holes in the charcoal pan for the ash to exit, obviously).

I was at HD last weekend, and the only suggestion I was given were 1" L-shaped brackets, but they were zinc coated. I also thought about those holders for dish towels that you can put on the back of cabinets but I'm looking for somethign cheaper, obviously.

Any ideas? Thx in advance.
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Exactly, which version of the ECB do you have?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

What model do you have? The Smoke N Grill or the Gourmet Smoker?

For the Gourmet, see here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104545
For the Smoke N Grill, see here: http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

I assume since you mentioned Randy, you've already seen the 2nd link?
I'm also assuming you have the Smoke N Grill by your description?

EDIT: After looking at the link you provided, I'm SURE you have the Smoke N Grill. I'm not going to be much use, having never used one of those.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

FWIW just as a bystander with a curbside rescue ECB waiting for some spare time, I'd just get the parts to make it a gourmet, and build a UDS style fire basket.

Somebody or other posted a link once to the base as a separate part, not terribly expensive.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Wampus

What about just doing away with the ash catcher bowl and putting down a tray on the ground and sit the legs for the fire pan on that?

OR.....just install bolts in the ash pan, leaving them long so that they create the spacer. That would be cheapest option I think. You know, just put the bolt head inside the charcoal pan with the bolt sticking out on the outside, then put a nut on. The "tip" of the bolt then rests on the ash pan. You could put that anywhere and make it as long or short as you needed.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry for not mentioning it. It's just the regular ECB, as opposed to the Gourmet version. Hopefully this helps.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Here are the parts.........listed in the electric smoker section....they call it a lava rock bowl, and the base section....the two together are close to the cost of the whole gourmet if you shop. But maybe just the base section would work fine.

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/de...tem=810-7090-S

click on parts.......
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

The Gourmet model would end up a better smoker with less modding.
How about turning that new Smokey Joe into a mini-WSM instead? You'll still be able to use that SJ as intended.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Wampus

Thought of ^^^ THIS ^^^ as well, but it sounded like he already has the Smoke N Pit and has started modding it.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Here's a link to the ECB I modified. Since then I made a basket out of expanded. It holds more charcoal and burns better. Cheers!!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93517

Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
bstuk
Got Wood.

Here is what my modified ecb looks like. I cut about 12 3/4 in holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan and put a weber charcoal grate in the bottom. The ash drops through to a disposable pie plate. I wrapped the exterior in aluminum flashing and cut three 3/4 in holes in the flashing to allow for air control. I also cut 4 1/2 inch holes in the lid and wrapped the top with stove gasket. I'm pretty happy with it and can get a solid 7 hours at 250 degrees on single pan of kbb using the minion method.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the good ideas. I might stick to one of the derivations of the bolt idea, but the more I tinker with the ECB, the more these other options look appealing.

I liked the idea of converting the Weber Smokey Joe Gold into a mini-WSM and saw a tutorial on how do to do it, but I'd need to run out and get a jigsaw. So that side project may wait till I get going a bit.

And the idea to house the base of the ECB in aluminum also looked interesting. I've already got a new thermometer installed, the legs on the outside, and I've added stainless steel hardware. Still need to pick up a gasket kit with the fiberglass rope to deal with the lid. Looks like some combo of screws and the adhesive will be in order. In any case, I'll tackle this after the charcoal bowl.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post
I liked the idea of converting the Weber Smokey Joe Gold into a mini-WSM and saw a tutorial on how do to do it, but I'd need to run out and get a jigsaw. So that side project may wait till I get going a bit.
You can use a pair of tin snips to cut out the bottom of the tamale pot. The aluminum is soft and easy to cut.
Nice thing about the mini-wsm is that you don't have to make any mods to the Smokey Joe itself (except for perhaps adding a charcoal ring). All mods are done on the tamale pot itself.
I use my Smokey Joe as intended, as a portable grill, or I can use either of the two smoker bodies I have (tamale pot and 16 gallon drum) on it.

Perhaps you can find a way to use your Smokey Joe under the ECB without having to modify it.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Carbon...I like your thinking. I've now read 2 tutorials, including this one with nice step by step pics: http://mancavemeals.net/2011/09/06/h...ld-a-mini-wsm/

I've also got some Rigid drill bits from HD that should go right through the bottom of the steamer pan, so no need for snips to cut it out.

Plus, if I can find some way to not have to mod the Smokey Joe still use mod the charcoal pan in the ECB, the mini WSM can be a backup, and I like some of the other features of the mini WSM, like not having to deal with modding the lid.

Too bad I didn't see the mini WSM idea before I nabbed the ECB. I almost like it a bit better.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post
Thanks Carbon...I like your thinking. I've now read 2 tutorials, including this one with nice step by step pics: http://mancavemeals.net/2011/09/06/h...ld-a-mini-wsm/

I've also got some Rigid drill bits from HD that should go right through the bottom of the steamer pan, so no need for snips to cut it out.

Plus, if I can find some way to not have to mod the Smokey Joe still use mod the charcoal pan in the ECB, the mini WSM can be a backup, and I like some of the other features of the mini WSM, like not having to deal with modding the lid.

Too bad I didn't see the mini WSM idea before I nabbed the ECB. I almost like it a bit better.

The guy who made that mini UDS in that link is a BBQ-Brethren!
His username is jmsetzler. Good guy. Hit him up if you have questions.
I think he even created a thread about that very build here.

Tags
ecb, El Cheao Brinkmann