MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #16
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

POT STIRRER!!! they look good, KNUCK!

i cant wait til my JAP plants start producing, ima let them git good-n-ripe (red) so i can make some of my own chipotle!! and then ill make some green chile powder with the anahiems i have, and let some of them redden to have some redchile powder too!!!, mmmmm spicy stuff
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #17
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
POT STIRRER!!! they look good, KNUCK!

i cant wait til my JAP plants start producing, ima let them git good-n-ripe (red) so i can make some of my own chipotle!! and then ill make some green chile powder with the anahiems i have, and let some of them redden to have some redchile powder too!!!, mmmmm spicy stuff
If Larry didn't have his sarcasm, we'd think he was ill!

I wish my growing season was longer than 3 months around here, I'd try growing some peps myself. He have a saying around here, We have 9 months of winter and 3 months of relatives coming to visit...

I'm kinda wondering now, do peppers ripen up via the same ethylene gas that ripe fruit puts off? Could I buy $0.99/lb green japs and use ripe tomatoes or apples to get them red?? Could I call them the "C" word then Larry?
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Make something killer with it Knuck!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #19
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

G'Day Knuck,

I've never seen this before. I can see how full you've got the firebox when you start, for a very long burn. You must have to dampen it down a lot. Do you close the exhaust at all. Secondly, I can't see what temp you're trying for???
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #20
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

Please keep up the story, I would like to try this and need to see it to the end.
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
BBQ Grail

There was no sarcasm intended at all. They are what they are. You can choose to call them whatever you want. I'm not going to call them chipotles. They are smoked jalapenos. And there's nothing wrong with smoked jalapenos, I actually used smoked jalapeno powder all the time.

The flavor profile between a green jalapeno and a red ripe jalapeno is different and when smoked gives an entirely different flavor.

I'm not stirring the pot at all. One of the great things about this forum is the free exchange of ideas, techniques and other information. We have to be able to say something isn't quite right or we end up just telling each other how great we are and that doesn't lead to learning.

There are others who would have jumped all over you for calling something chipotle when it wasn't. I thought my approach was gentle, yet effective.

Be that as it may, what you posted and your technique is very informative and I'm sure the powder you make will be awesome.

And as a PS. When you grind that stuff, do it outside and wear a respirator.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
deguerre

Question - I can not find red jalapenos anywhere near me. Sometimes a green one that is partially orange bordering on red - but is it the same species that has ripened or is it a sub-species? I do understand the flavor difference between the two but if they both come from the same plant, does the red come from vine ripening only?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
If Larry didn't have his sarcasm, we'd think he was ill!

I wish my growing season was longer than 3 months around here, I'd try growing some peps myself. He have a saying around here, We have 9 months of winter and 3 months of relatives coming to visit...

I'm kinda wondering now, do peppers ripen up via the same ethylene gas that ripe fruit puts off? Could I buy $0.99/lb green japs and use ripe tomatoes or apples to get them red?? Could I call them the "C" word then Larry?
What you can try is this. If you have any japs leftover, leave a couple of them out on the counter or near a window (sunny area) for a few days. THey should start to turn red. They will soften and wilt a bit, but they will turn red to orange. The key is not letting them go too far, as they will spoil from the inside out. You could also string them up and hang them outside and that will speed up the process.
Obviously the best way is to let them redden on the plant, but that can't always be done.
Most of the mom and pop places here simply sort out the ones that are turning red and then sell them for more simply cause of the color.
I need to make another batch of the jap flakes I smoked up some months back. That stuff perks up all kinds of stuff from salsas to plain ol mashed taters. You can also leave some of em whole and dried for later use in things like soups and stews.
Man, that grate full of japs looks nice!!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
You can choose to call them whatever you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2oEmPP5dTM
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'm not stirring the pot at all. One of the great things about this forum is the free exchange of ideas, techniques and other information. We have to be able to say something isn't quite right or we end up just telling each other how great we are and that doesn't lead to learning.
I completely agree!

Do you have a place that you're abe to buy smoked jalapeno powder from, or do you make it?

Quote:
And as a PS. When you grind that stuff, do it outside and wear a respirator.
Are you kidding me?? I usually have the kids go in the closet and grind em', that way I don't have to breath it!
Like I would do that horrible job myself! Now there's some sarcasm for ya'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Question - I can not find red jalapenos anywhere near me. Sometimes a green one that is partially orange bordering on red - but is it the same species that has ripened or is it a sub-species? I do understand the flavor difference between the two but if they both come from the same plant, does the red come from vine ripening only?
Yeah, now that I think about it, what I was thinking of when I saw red jalapenos that cost $3-$4'lb, I don't think they were japs at all now, different shape... they had a pointed curved end on them, not the more blunt round end that japs usually have. I think it might have just said "Red Chili Peppers" too. So difficult to find "different" stuff around here sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
What you can try is this. If you have any japs leftover, leave a couple of them out on the counter or near a window (sunny area) for a few days. THey should start to turn red. They will soften and wilt a bit, but they will turn red to orange. The key is not letting them go too far, as they will spoil from the inside out. You could also string them up and hang them outside and that will speed up the process.
Obviously the best way is to let them redden on the plant, but that can't always be done.
Most of the mom and pop places here simply sort out the ones that are turning red and then sell them for more simply cause of the color.
I need to make another batch of the jap flakes I smoked up some months back. That stuff perks up all kinds of stuff from salsas to plain ol mashed taters. You can also leave some of em whole and dried for later use in things like soups and stews.
Man, that grate full of japs looks nice!!

Bob
I'll try ripening a few up that way, I was also thinking that I'd expirement and put a few in a paper bag for a day with a ripe apple and another with a ripe tomato. Both of which produce a decent amount of ethylene gas which is what causes them to ripen. We'll see if a pepper ripens that way too!

It would be nice if they did, I'd like to try smoking red japs too and compare the difference in flavors.

Thanks for the info fellas!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #26
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'd be interested to see how that works out. The flavor profile is quite different. Much the same way a very green banana tastes vs. one that's nice and ripe. But, that addition of smoke flavor........that's the ticket.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post

lol, sorry, I meant to say that I will try ripening some peppers in a bag with a Toe-mah-Toe, not tomatoe... (my english MOL would be giving me looks right now).

And I think Bob was trying to say that he likes his smoked jalapenos in smashed poe-ta'-toes.

This whole online interaction thing was soooo much easier when I could just assume that everyone was just as big of an A-Hole as I was...

Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #28
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
lol, sorry, I meant to say that I will try ripening some peppers in a bag with a Toe-mah-Toe, not tomatoe... (my english MOL would be giving me looks right now).

And I think Bob was trying to say that he likes his smoked jalapenos in smashed poe-ta'-toes.

This whole online interaction thing was soooo much easier when I could just assume that everyone was just as big of an A-Hole as I was...
It's the "almost" Canadian in you. Take some asperin.

I see a needle and long string of thread in my immediate future.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
It's the "almost" Canadian in you. Take some asperin.

I see a needle and long string of thread in my immediate future.

Did you mean ass-prin or asprin? Sorry but I only take Tylenol. I mean acetaminophen, err, non-asprin pain reliever. Midol - Whatever!

Canadians...

I'd love Canada if it weren't for all the Canadians up there!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #30
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
G'Day Knuck,

I've never seen this before. I can see how full you've got the firebox when you start, for a very long burn. You must have to dampen it down a lot. Do you close the exhaust at all. Secondly, I can't see what temp you're trying for???
With all my jack-assery I missed this one...

Alright, there is about 1 & 1/2 chimneys of unlit briqs and about 6'ish lit ones on the left side of the firebox (the furthest from the vents on mine). I keep the firebox vent completely closed, and the top stack wide open. The chargrillers are notoriously leaky and so plenty of air gets in for a low temp smoke like this one. It doesn't burn as clean as what I usually look for when q'ing meats, but it's a pepper and going to be used as an ingredient, so I'm ok with the heavier smoke on it.
The lid temp usually is between 75 - 100*F I really don't want to cook the peppers so I try to keep it low.

From times past, I have found that if the temp isn't up between the 75-100 range then A) the peppers take much longer to dry (especially if it's humid outside) B) they don't darken up as much, they tend to stay more green and while it's ok, I like the kind of toasted flavor that the darkend ones have, the flavor stands out more in rubs and in dishes. Just try not to burn em', that taste is not good.

Oh, in regards to the amount of fuel and duration of smoke... Honestly, this is the first time I've done it all in one fail swoop, since it takes so long, usually I smoke it either through the day into night, the fire dies and then sometime in the next 12 hours I fire it back up and let it roll for another full basket of briqs... This time I ended up burning 2 & 1/2 baskets of briqs and almost all of an 8lb of a bag of mesq chunks.

In all, they were prolly there for about 32 hours... the last 12 of which were really just to keep warm air moving to dehydrate them, no smoke during that time.

Here's a pic of them collected off the grill - I started with 2 heaping bowls this size and ended up with about 3/4 of a bowl.

I started with about 12.5 lbs and after weighing, I have just ever so slightly more than a pound and they're not quite all fully dried... Think of all the liquid smoke I could have caught from them! Anyone catch Alton's method in his beef jerky episode?

BTW - is it still a crime to use LS even if you make your own?