Looking to add to the stable

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding a portable smoker to cook along-side my cabinet. It will mostly be for running hot, 300+ for chicken and the like. I've been interested in a UDS but I'd rather not spend so much. Any thoughts on how a kettle would work out? Is it worth the extra money to get a drum? I'd rather not quickly outgrow it (the kettle). I'm posting this in the Competition area because that would be its main use.

I'm thinking about adding a portable smoker to cook along-side my cabinet. It will mostly be for running hot, 300+ for chicken and the like. I've been interested in a UDS but I'd rather not spend so much. Any thoughts on how a kettle would work out? Is it worth the extra money to get a drum? I'd rather not quickly outgrow it (the kettle). I'm posting this in the Competition area because that would be its main use.
Build an UDS. I built mine out of old junk. I originally built it as a no weld project. I will say I got my brother to weld the gas pipe nipples on as they ripped through the one time. If you can get someone to weld then get those welded on. If nod conduit nuts work but check them for being tight. Every couple of cooks.

You could also order a big poppa smokers kit.

How do you plan on cooking the chicken?

I kettle will do fine, lots of folks use them for chicken. You may have to play around with the fire setup if you want to go indirect to find out what works best for you.

But, I can’t say enough about my Hunsaker drums. They do a fantastic job on chicken! We did a practice cook today and the chicken was great! Moist, tender, bite through skin, everything we hope that the judges are looking for :-D

a 14" WSM is good for cooking chicken and doesn't take up too much room. Personally I wouldn't want to haul around a UDS or any large drum just to cook chicken at a comp.

How do you plan on cooking the chicken?

I kettle will do fine, lots of folks use them for chicken. You may have to play around with the fire setup if you want to go indirect to find out what works best for you.

But, I can’t say enough about my Hunsaker drums. They do a fantastic job on chicken! We did a practice cook today and the chicken was great! Moist, tender, bite through skin, everything we hope that the judges are looking for :-D

Use my Hunsacker for hanging ribbs till wrap then full cook for chicken,.. I do the chicken in mini loaf pans.. Wonderful..

While I don't have one personally, a Pit Barrel Cooker is on the lower end of the drum price spectrum at $299.

Back