• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sausage stuffer questions

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Im thinking of asking for a sausage maker for christmas. I have a professional Kitchenaid mixer. Should i get the stuffer that is made for the kitchen aid? or should i go with one from cabelas? Im looking at making deer sausage and other sausage as i figure it out. i want one that is easy to use,. but still make a great product.

The stuffer for the Kitchenaid sucks if you ask me. I used it once and never again. We have the professional mixer, too. So lots of power. Just didn't seem to hold up to the job very well.

I think I remember a good link out there somewhere ...
maybe one of our moderators can find it.

Get one with metal works (the housing, screw, and cutting plate). If you stick them in the freezer before grinding sausage you will have a lot less problem with the cutting plate plugging up from the stringy stuff. I used to have a plastic one and had a heck of a time. Don't know if the Kitchen Aid is metal or not.

Kevin said:
Get one with metal works (the housing, screw, and cutting plate). If you stick them in the freezer before grinding sausage you will have a lot less problem with the cutting plate plugging up from the stringy stuff. I used to have a plastic one and had a heck of a time. Don't know if the Kitchen Aid is metal or not.

Ok. Now i have the meat grinder attachement for the kitchen aid. Would that be essentially the same thing? would i just need the sausage stuffer parts? the tubes? and casings?

Kevin said:

Interesting tip.

The plates and auger are metal in the kitchenaid.

Forget the sausage stuffer and get the ice cream attachment. We got one for my aunt and uncle a few years ago. Its pretty cool.

FatDaddy said:
Ok. Now i have the meat grinder attachement for the kitchen aid. Would that be essentially the same thing? would i just need the sausage stuffer parts? the tubes? and casings?

Yep. You can get the tubes at Cabella's or Bass Pro, or Kohl's, or most any store that sells kitchen aid. The casings are a bit of a problem for me, but you are in Texas, you can probably get them at the corner gas station.

Kevin said:
Yep. You can get the tubes at Cabella's or Bass Pro, or Kohl's, or most any store that sells kitchen aid. The casings are a bit of a problem for me, but you are in Texas, you can probably get them at the corner gas station.

yea they come in different colors. for like 25cents each. (ba ba Cha!!) im here all weekend...

Cool ill let the mother in law know. not to buy me the whole thing then. ill go with a icecream maker instead.. lol. and go to cabelas myself. i love that store.

FatDaddy said:
yea they come in different colors. for like 25cents each. (ba ba Cha!!) im here all weekend...

Cool ill let the mother in law know. not to buy me the whole thing then. ill go with a icecream maker instead.. lol. and go to cabelas myself. i love that store.

LOL, you got me there.

FatDaddy said:

There you go! Didn't realize you had the grinder. The tube is a cheap little plastic piece. Get it if you have the rest. The pasta rollers rock, too.

I wonder if you could grind your own spices with the mill attachment. Anyone ever use it?

Plowboy said:
I wonder if you could grind your own spices with the mill attachment. Anyone ever use it?

I use a cheap coffee grinder. It leaves some big chunks though. I just run them through a sieve and regrind the chunks.

Kevin said:
I use a cheap coffee grinder. It leaves some big chunks though. I just run them through a sieve and regrind the chunks.

Same here. Wonder if the mill attachment would create a finer grind?

Plowboy said:
Same here. Wonder if the mill attachment would create a finer grind?

I don't know about your coffee grinder but mine is plenty fine, especially if it is a potent spice, when I pop the top even if I let it sit for few minutes.:cool:

FatDaddy said:

If you have the grinder go with the tube for about $10. If you have a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond etc... If you want to go manual take a look at Northerntool.com. They have some decent stuff at a nice price.

I was thinking of getting the KitchenAid mixer and was looking at the meat grinder attachment and it dosen't come with a sausage stuffer-its another add on. LNT has a Waring Pro meat grinder($99) that comes with stuffers and it seemed comparable to ones on some of the Sausage sites. I guess my question is do some of these home meat grinders do a good enough job stuffing the casings or would you need a stuffer to get the kob done?

swamprb said:
I was thinking of getting the KitchenAid mixer and was looking at the meat grinder attachment and it dosen't come with a sausage stuffer-its another add on. LNT has a Waring Pro meat grinder($99) that comes with stuffers and it seemed comparable to ones on some of the Sausage sites. I guess my question is do some of these home meat grinders do a good enough job stuffing the casings or would you need a stuffer to get the kob done?

The kitchen Aid will do the job....within reason. I use it to grind meat. I also use it to stuff sausage. If I'm working by myself, and the job isn't too big then it works fine. I've never done more than 50 lbs. in one shot. The motor was getting a little warm.

If you do enough other stuff that the mixer would work for then it is a winner. If you are just looking to make sausage then there are other options out there.

I'm open to more options! My wife dosen't want the KA so I'm looking at the Waring or Maverick.

Cabela's has some nice stuff. If you want to save some cash then take a look at Northerntool.com

FatDaddy said:
Im thinking of asking for a sausage maker for christmas. I have a professional Kitchenaid mixer. Should i get the stuffer that is made for the kitchen aid? or should i go with one from cabelas? Im looking at making deer sausage and other sausage as i figure it out. i want one that is easy to use,. but still make a great product.

I'm okay with the grinding attachment of the KA, but most don't like the stuffing ability. Here is the rig that I have used for the last 15 years or so. It is a hand crank model with a 5# barrel and is made by The Sausagemaker. For a while they were making them with nylon gears, don't know if they still are or not.

007e6861.jpg

With a stuffer, you can also package ground beef or make your own fatties by stuffing these 1# bags. 25 bags are $3 or $4, well worth it.

fddf1d97.jpg

Cabela's has some good looking stuffers, just never seen one in action.

Back