Last edited:
It would be helpful if they were able to accurately find out how the
people became sick.
Such as: did they not cook the chicken properly; or was the chicken
cooked to a safe temperature, but there was some cross-contamination
problems from washing the chicken first, or not cleaning cutting boards and
utensils.

But, most people probably don't know exactly what they did wrong
that caused them to get sick from the chicken.

That salmonella can resist antibiotics all it wants to. It ain't resisting 165 degrees.

That salmonella can resist antibiotics all it wants to. It ain't resisting 165 degrees.

Also keep your prep area, and your hands clean...Cross contamination is most likely the problem when chicken is on the menu...Yikes...Foster Farms is the main brand where I shop...:evil:

Never really understood the real threat of Salmonella. I understand that for older people and immunine compromised individuals its potentionaly deadly but if you cook it right, it won't harm you. Am I missing something?

Never really understood the real threat of Salmonella. I understand that for older people and immunine compromised individuals its potentionaly deadly but if you cook it right, it won't harm you. Am I missing something?

i think the real threat comes more from cross contamination then actual cooking and eating like mentioned earlier. I picked up cutting board mats specifically just to use for poultry. It also makes clean up a lot easier.

i think the real threat comes more from cross contamination then actual cooking and eating like mentioned earlier. I picked up cutting board mats specifically just to use for poultry. It also makes clean up a lot easier.

Same here. I bought stuff specifically to use with poultry. We do keep a healthy supply of Clorox wet wipes on hand as well. I got a good case of food poison once years back and I never want to live through that one ever again. It was having the flu times 100.

Also keep your prep area, and your hands clean...Cross contamination is most likely the problem when chicken is on the menu...Yikes...Foster Farms is the main brand where I shop...:evil:

Yep cook to temp and use good food practices and its a non issue.

Yup I do the same. Its funny, I handle all meats with my bare hands, and never got sick. Friends are always concerned so they wear disposable gloves. I find that if you clean up properly, you wont have an issue.

Having had a particularly bad strain of salmonella myself some 12 years ago, I'll say from personal experience, YOU DONT WANT THIS. And, I'm fairly certain mine was from chicken. I have no idea whether they were California chickens or how humanely they were treated, but as the cleaner and cooker of said chicken, I was sick as no tomorrow for a few weeks, could've died, and still to this day my innerd's aren't the same... I will not paint the vivid picture of how bad this is/was; please trust me it's BAD. You have no control, and it spews violently from both ends... PROJECTILE. I could've easily **** on the ceiling.

Smoked six Foster Farms whole chickens on Saturday. Charcoal and apple wood. Handled them properly, pulled from smoker at 165. Not afraid of salmonella. We're eating 'em.

Smoked six Foster Farms whole chickens on Saturday. Charcoal and apple wood. Handled them properly, pulled from smoker at 165. Not afraid of salmonella. We're eating 'em.

AK, FYI, my chickens were actually cooked into dry oblivion. I got it from the raw chicken handling it. I dont know, I'm pretty good at washing my hands, etc. I didnt use gloves though....

Very Cavalier...I don't' think the Salmonella are afraid either...Don't' miss a step in your processes...They won't...

If you cook to the old standard of 165F for at least 5 minutes, there will be no risk of salmonella from the food. However, there should be no salmonella on chickemn it comes from poor processing. Once you get it home, you can get cross-contamination from a lot of sources, spray, tools, not washing hands, board or counters, all manner of ways.

The Humane Society stickedr is just ridiculous

Very Cavalier...I don't' think the Salmonella are afraid either...Don't' miss a step in your processes...They won't...

Didn't mean to come across as cavalier. I agree, the Salmonella aren't afraid either. Since any poultry, Foster Farms or not, has a risk of salmonella, you can't ever miss a step in the process. Don't seem to have missed a step yet, but won't say it can't happen to me in the future.

Back