Older Performer.

Thairon

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Well boys new to the boards and just thought I'd share my find. I picked up an older performer with the stainless table. It's in ok shape. It needs new guts though. The bottom vent is stuck open and the handle snapped off. Also the cleaning ribs inside are shot. I'll post up a couple pics tomorrow. I was wondering wheres the best place to order parts and can I add the lighting system to it?

Good score. The "One Touch" ash cleaning system can be got and replaced for about $15.99. I don't know about the ignition system though.

When I read the title of this thread.......I thought it was about ME!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Welcome and Congrats on the score! You may also need to replace the ash pot ring with the newer leg-socket mounted style as the mounting wing for the one you have is wrapped around the sweeper hardware. They are frequently damaged when grinding/drilling out the old sweeper. IMO, adding ignition would be pretty expensive ($50-$75 plus tank) for the additional benefit. I have performers with and without it and wouldn't opt to pay that much to add it even though it is a convenient feature. Plus, drilling the bowl out is giving it one more place to rust. Just my$.02. Weber customer service is the best place for parts. Glad you're here!
Chris

There are two styles of cleaning systems, the new one and the old one. The old style (Weber 7409 One-Touch Cleaning System) is the one that is currently on your older SS Performer with the finger screw at the bottom that is next to impossible to remove without destroying it. Best way to remove it is to cut the bar next to the nut at both ends. The old system works together with the ash ring held in place by a flat piece of metal that holds the ash ring in place. BTW – that flat piece of metal is subject to rusting and falling apart over time because of the hot coals that drop on it. This old style system is available at places like Amazon but is pretty pricey running around $40-50. They can be hard to find. The new one ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7444-2-Inch-One-Touch-Cleaning/dp/B005LVAZ3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377692120&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+kettle+cleaning+system"]Weber 7444 One-Touch Cleaning System[/ame]) is the one you can find on Amazon for about $15. This works with the new style of ash ring where the little clips fit into the leg stumps on the bottom of the kettle. You can probably make the new one work but it may not lock in place properly therefore you need to plan on getting a new style ash catcher ring. They can be fit to your old Performer, but be warned that the little slots may not line up completely. Be careful fitting it because if you force it too much the rivets on the ring will pop. Don’t ask how I know this.

Fitting the gas ignition system onto a Performer that was not originally set up for it is really not practical.

The best way to add a charcoal lighting system to that model, which I have too, is to buy a weed burner from Harbor Freight. :wink:

That's a great buy! I paid full price, less military discount, for mine at Home Depot and have enjoyed it immensely for two years now. Many, many moon ago, I built a table with a crescent shaped cut out for an old Weber kettle. It worked pretty well but the Performer runs rings around that solution.

Hey thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will just replace the whole shebang. The lighting system would be cool but my chimney works just fine.

Welcome and Congrats on the score! You may also need to replace the ash pot ring with the newer leg-socket mounted style as the mounting wing for the one you have is wrapped around the sweeper hardware. They are frequently damaged when grinding/drilling out the old sweeper. IMO, adding ignition would be pretty expensive ($50-$75 plus tank) for the additional benefit. I have performers with and without it and wouldn't opt to pay that much to add it even though it is a convenient feature. Plus, drilling the bowl out is giving it one more place to rust. Just my$.02. Weber customer service is the best place for parts. Glad you're here!
Chris

MisterChrister knows what he is talking about. I own 3 SS performers. Def not worth the $ to add the propane burner. You can find one with the burner for the price of parts on CL.

Just buy a new ash sweeper kit and a weber chimney and you are good to go.

If you have a gasser with a side burner, you can drop that chimney on the burner for the same effect.

BTW, the "old" performers are much better than the new models IMHO. The SS table is easier to keep clean.

Back