MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
-HAZARD-
Knows what a fatty is.

Lot's of titles still coming out of the wood pile here.

I actually ordered two books last night on Barnes & Noble and should get them by Thursday.

I ended up with "Wicked Good Barbecue" & "Smokin' w/ Myron Mixon".

I will still seek out Smoke & Spice at some point.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #32
MilitantSquatter

If you want a non recipe book that's just straight text on Texas BBQ, I'd recommend this one

Republic of Barbecue : Stories Beyond The Brisket

It's no overstatement to say that the state of Texas is a republic of barbecue. Whether it's brisket, sausage, ribs, or chicken, barbecue feeds friends while they catch up, soothes tensions at political events, fuels community festivals, sustains workers of all classes, celebrates brides and grooms, and even supports churches. Recognizing just how central barbecue is to Texas's cultural life, Elizabeth Engelhardt and a team of eleven graduate students from the University of Texas at Austin set out to discover and describe what barbecue has meant to Texans ever since they first smoked a beef brisket.
Republic of Barbecue presents a fascinating, multifaceted portrait of the world of barbecue in Central Texas. The authors look at everything from legendary barbecue joints in places such as Taylor and Lockhart to feedlots, ultra-modern sausage factories, and sustainable forests growing hardwoods for barbecue pits. They talk to pit masters and proprietors, who share the secrets of barbecue in their own words. Like side dishes to the first-person stories, short essays by the authors explore a myriad of barbecue's themes--food history, manliness and meat, technology, nostalgia, civil rights, small-town Texas identity, barbecue's connection to music, favorite drinks such as Big Red, Dr. Pepper, Shiner Bock, and Lone Star beer--to mention only a few. An ode to Texas barbecue in films, a celebration of sports and barbecue, and a pie chart of the desserts that accompany brisket all find homes in the sidebars of the book, while photographic portraits of people and places bring readers face-to-face with the culture of barbecue.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Not technically a BBQ book, but I am really hoping to get:

"Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" by Francis Mallman

Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #34
SmokeyTreats
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I really enjoy the recipes in Paul kirks championship BBQ saucesImageUploadedByTapatalk1356384904.464707.jpg
SmokeyTreats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
Just be sure you don't pay any attention to their recommended cooking temps or times. Don't know what they like to smoke.
LOL! I'm always amazed that this book is still so revered when we all know the recipes don't actually work as written. That's kind of a big problem for me :)
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
LOL! I'm always amazed that this book is still so revered when we all know the recipes don't actually work as written. That's kind of a big problem for me :)
So true! When I got my first smoker, someone gave it to me as a gift. It is an enjoyable book to read, but only as I look back now, do I see that it was the source of a lot of frustration over ruined ribs and time wasted.

Seriously no butt kissing intended, but it wasn't until I got your book that things started to make a lot more sense.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #37
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHill Smoke View Post
Dr. BBQ's books. Peace love and BBQ by Mike Mills.
Ditto!

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #38
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
So true! When I got my first smoker, someone gave it to me as a gift. It is an enjoyable book to read, but only as I look back now, do I see that it was the source of a lot of frustration over ruined ribs and time wasted.

Seriously no butt kissing intended, but it wasn't until I got your book that things started to make a lot more sense.
Smoke and Spice was the first big BBQ book as far as I can remember and we all bought it and it was a big deal. But now there are so many better books that I'm always surprised when it comes up. If my books had those errors I'd be burned at the stake!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #39
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Smoke and Spice was the first big BBQ book as far as I can remember and we all bought it and it was a big deal. But now there are so many better books that I'm always surprised when it comes up. If my books had those errors I'd be burned at the stake!
I think back when they wrote it, onewould have been burned at the stake for suggesting that you could cook a good brisket at temps above 225.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #40
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I think it probably has a lot of sentimental value as a lot of folks first BBQ book. That's how it is for me - it's where I started (can't remember if that's where I heard about 170 IT for pulled pork ) Even though I pretty much never cook out of it now I still can't imagine being without it for some reason.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #41
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

I just picked up a copy of BIG BOOK of BBQ the other day.
It's my 1st BBQ book. It covers styles from the east coast
to the west of Texas, it also has a lot of tips for smoking and
grilling.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #42
LT72884
Babbling Farker

if you want un-conventioal, then try out adam perry lang try out his book called bbq 25 along with charred and scruffed. I like the books alot. fun and something different to try out.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #43
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

The one thing I liked about Myron's book is it is am easy read. I have never met him, but it does impart a genuineness that he portrays on TV and in videos I have seen of him on You Tube. Someday I will either take his class or meet him to see if my hypothesis is true.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #44
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I absolutely love Dr. BBQ's books, Rob Walsh's Legends of Texas BB-Q, Paul Kirk's Championship BB-Q, and Smoke and Spice, but I think my all time favorite book in general has to be Mike Mill's Peace, Love, and BB-Q.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #45
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
Not technically a BBQ book, but I am really hoping to get:

"Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" by Francis Mallman
As I had hoped, "Seven Fires" was among my Saturnalia, er, I mean "Christmas" gifts!! w00t!!