Rule Clarification

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
First contest this weekend and I have a rules question. It is not directly addressed in the rules but can you trim your meat prior to inspection?
Specifically, can I trim my chicken then vacusuck it here at home?
I think I know the answer but would like clarification.
Thanks
ModelMaker (Ed)

First contest this weekend and I have a rules question. It is not directly addressed in the rules but can you trim your meat prior to inspection?
Thanks
ModelMaker (Ed)

no rub, no injection, no flavoring of any kind... but trimming... yes, without question. (KCBS contest I assume as well)

Definitely yes, as stated above. What's not allowed before inspection is flavoring, marinating, or seasoning of any kind.

yeah, and a true headache saver as well....one less thing to worry about, is one less thing to worry about.....

Thanks
ModelMaker (Ed)

You can absolutely clean and trim your chicken and repack. Good luck to you.

Bunny Tuttle

can you prep mine also?? lol i am to lazy playing World of Warcraft... guess i need to load the trailer /sigh

I can only speak for my experience with FBA and KCBS.
Both allow pre-trimming without pre-seasoning as discussed above.

However, I have been challenged to provide proof of USDA inspection for poultry that I had pre-trimmed and vacu-sucked.

At the same event, I had ribs that had been pre-trimmed and vacu-sucked in exactly the same way.
But the ribs were not questioned.

I spoke to the REP---They believed that Poultry can be grown and processed easily outside of the USDA system. Having been a FFA kid growing up, that is true.
They said it was "unlikely" that butts, brisket, and ribs were produced out side of the USDA inspection system.
So, they were requiring proof on the poultry entries if they were not in the original packaging.

Here is what they recommended---
Keep the purchase record and actual label for the meat and have it ready for the inspector.

Yeah, I know I could raise or buy "non-USDA" poultry and just buy a bit of inspected stuff and keep the record to comply.

All I am suggesting is ---"keep the records" and avoid any hassle. :-D

TIM

If Bunny says it's legal, it's legal.

(she's a CBJ instructor, past board member and a competitor) She's an additional wealth of knowledge to an already knowledgable forum

And we all agree, so we all happy!:grin:

Back